Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Take a look at my gear pattern.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 07:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 06 4.8
Well I called the installer and he was pretty rude today saying how they are just a loud gears and I'm fretting over nothing and he may be able to look at it Wednesday.. Sooo, I bolted the radials up, filled a bottle and am going to make some hits to see if it gets worse.
Nah. I have installed Yukons, US Gear, OEM, used..... If the set-up was done correctly, you shouldn't hear anything. Yes, some gears can have manufacturing defects, however that is rare, and you are on install #2.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:47 AM
Laid Back

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by axisT6
Gear pattern should be centered between the root and crown of the gear teeth.
This. Some installers will center it between the heel and toe because it looks prettier, but it's the wrong way. To me it looks like the pinion is too deep. It would be easier to confirm if you ran the pattern with gear marking compound.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:57 AM
Laid Back

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 06 4.8
Well I called the installer and he was pretty rude today saying how they are just a loud gears and I'm fretting over nothing and he may be able to look at it Wednesday.. Sooo, I bolted the radials up, filled a bottle and am going to make some hits to see if it gets worse.

He did manage to tell me depth is .035 and he set back lash "tight" at .006
But these were his words. I don't know if he's telling the truth or not.

I'm almost wondering if it's in the tru trac since he put synthetic oil in it with these helical gears causing a whine.
.035 is one of the most common pinion shims for ten bolts and .006 is the bottom of the backlash spec if you were to look it up. So it's possible he could of told you those numbers just to shut you up. For all you know, he may have set it up with his magic hands like George.

My TruTrac works better with conventional fluid. It did some weird **** with synthetic(no whining though).
Old 02-09-2016, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beatdown Z
.035 is one of the most common pinion shims for ten bolts and .006 is the bottom of the backlash spec if you were to look it up. So it's possible he could of told you those numbers just to shut you up. For all you know, he may have set it up with his magic hands like George.

My TruTrac works better with conventional fluid. It did some weird **** with synthetic(no whining though).
+1...

There's tolerance on everything. A good mechanic is only as good as the instruments he's using to measure the .035-.037 and the .006-.010 ranges. I don't like the explanation of "tight" .006 he gave you. How much .in/lb. torque did it take to rotate the assy. after he installed it? That would bear out any set up problems including the pinion bearing pre-load being excessive.

I've got 4.56:1's front and rear along with a Tru-trac and it's dead silent.

Defective ring and pinion sets are very rare these days. The pattern on the gear teeth are proof that they were setup incorrectly.