Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

TCI Converter Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have decided to let the transmission shop that did my shiftkit install, put my converter in. With single digit temps, and snow that we have had, felt it best to let them deal with it. They are going to install converter on friday so I will give an update of the results this weekend. Thanks for everyones input, you all were very helpful.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hope to have mine end by the weekend as well.. probably wont happen but i can always hope.. I cant wait..
Old 01-25-2005, 02:39 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

remove the flexplate and see if the holes line up before you put it back in. the do whatever is neccesary to make it work. then reinstall the flexplate and then the tranny.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

i love my yank 3000

tows 5000lbs no problem

knocked .4 sec off my ET
Old 01-25-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lotzafun
Like I mentioned before, somepeople have said that GM glues the connection into the nuetral safety switch. So I guess what I am wanting to know has anyone here had this problem getting the connection apart, and if so, what did you use to get it apart? Thanks for all of the input on this post, looking forward to more info coming along here.
yeah when i did mine i didn't know they were glues together and a couple of buddies that were helping me just pryed it apart. i heard a blow dryer works to heat it up so you can pull it apart.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:19 AM
On The Tree

Well I told you that I would update all of you, so this will be a little long. Got home for lunch on friday and found that the transmission shop had called just before I got there, said there was a problem with the converter. When I called them they said that the converter difinately had a problem with engagement of the pump in the transmission. With the converter all the way into the transmission, there was no end play when they tryed to bolt the transmission up to the engine.

Normally I do not mention sources unless asked, but I feel that it is important this time. So I called Summit Racing where I baught the converter and talked to their tech line people. After a short discussion of the problem, they requested that I call TCI Converters tech line and discuss the situation with them direct. While on the phone with TCI they asked questions that I could not answer because I did not have the converter in front of me. This is a lesson for anyone.

So I put TCI on hold while I used my cell phone to call the transmission shop doing the work for me. Now with cell phone in my left ear and portable phone in my right ear, and my wife laughing at me the whole time, it was time to get some answers. First TCI wanted to know if the correct part # was stamped on the torque converter. Yes it was. Now they wanted a measurement from the top of the neck to the flange where it bolts up to the flywheel. 6.640" is what it measured. TCI told me that it was within .030" of what spec would be. So he said that if I wanted another converter to see if it would work, that all I had to do was give him a credit card # and he would send me another one.

Summit Racing to the rescue. Called Summit back and told them what I was told. Now here is a tip for you young guys, or anyone that is as pissed as I was. Never get angry with the person on the phone, don't call them names and tell them what a piece of $*@# they are, stay calm. After talking with Summit and telling them that now my truck is down on a lift with a torque converter that will not fit, what am I to do. They stepped up to the plate and said that they would send me another converter next day air with Saturday delivery and that I should have it before 11:00am. Then they would send UPS out next week with a call tag to pick up the bad converter.

Saturday morning the converter arrived at 10:15am and off to the transmission shop I went to meet with the owner of the shop. We put both converters side by side and using a straight edge and a granite plate we took some measurements. Actually there was no measurement needed, you could physically see that the first converter neck was too long, when we put a straight edge acrossed the neck where the notches are for the pump gear, the straight edge never touched the second converter.

So now we took the 2nd converter and made sure that it would go into the transmission without any problems. It went in and they were able to join the transmission to the engine with the end play that they needed. For those of you that are reading this and not know why you need endplay. If the transmission shop had went ahead and used the first converter anyway, the minute they started the truck up, it would have distroyed the front pump on my transmission. Not good!

On Monday they will finish up the installation and take it on a test drive. So I will follow up on this Monday after I get the truck back. But I must say that Summit Racing knows how to take care of those that keep them in business. TCI has alot of learning to do about customer service. It should not come down to who sold me the converter, but who built it. Thanks for reading this, I know it was long, but if this helps someone in the future that is what it is all about.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:58 AM
On The Tree

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw ! Got my truck back last night, most of the roads were clear, but still icey in some spots so I had to be carefull. Well it will definately roast the tires now! But I must say out of all the anticipation and hipe, the converter was the right move. Don't think that the gears would have given me the ***** out excelleration that this truck now has. It will throw you back in the seat, not just set you back in the seat. This is what I expected the cam to be like, the giant is definately awake now, can't wait to get it to the strip and let it rip. After putting some miles on it, it did trip the SES light, seen the sticky note on this sight about how to fix it. Good thing I have HP Tuners to be able to fix the glitch. Thanks for all that gave their input to this long thread, feel free to ad any questions that may come along.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:48 AM
TECH Regular

Nice write up. What style truck do you have? What cam? How much did the install cost? I'm leaning towards the TCI 3000 becasue the tt3000 is too much$$$

Do the TT3000 and tci3000 have similar driving characteristics? I have ridden in neither but get the notion that the yank is tighter in part throttle becasue it keeps the tow rating.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine should be installed tomorrow and i will post up how it rides.. the reason the yank keeps the tow rating is because i believe it is a 12.5" converter vs the Tci being a 10"...
I could be wrong and sure i will be corrected if that is the case
Old 02-01-2005, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

My cam is Comp Cam's 212/218 522/529 114LSA part #54-412-11. It is in a 2002 ECSB 2wd GMC Sierra with a 5.3L V8. Was quoted $375 for the install of the converter, but because they had to basically do the job twice, because of the 1st converter that was bad, I paid a little more than what was quoted. It was not their fault the converter would not install all the way. Glad that I kept the 3.42 gears in the rear end. With this converter it drives out very good, I have another truck that I can tow with, if I need to tow something.

If you have never driven a high stall performance converter before, I suggest you either ride or drive with a vehicle that has one. That way you know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised by mine, so all ended up well. To say that it makes the cam come alive is an understatement. Nothing but grins here. Unless you have to tow something, save your money and get the TCI 3000 stall converter.

Quick Reply: TCI Converter Question