Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Tell me why this wont work

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 11:59 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts
Default Tell me why this wont work

So I have been thinking about traction bars...

Caltracs and assassin bars have features I like, but both are just terrible overpriced IMO, and besides, its way more fun to build stuff than just bolting it on.

So I came up with this idea, basically taking ideas from both. My setup has the ubolts facing upward (round on bottom, nuts on top). The ubolts are 5/8 fine thread and the nuts provide a good mounting surface for another plate... I am thinking about using a mount similar to the caltrac axle mount, but upside down on top of the axle instead of under it, mounted on the ubolt nuts (light blue in the picture).

The front of the setup is very similar to the assassin bar bracket but on top and turned around, and in front of the hanger (red in the picture) and mounts to the spring with bolts and ubolts (light blue). And of course the tension bar is green and has adjustable heims on both ends for preload adjustment.

Name:  tractionbaridea.png
Views: 136
Size:  7.4 KB

The drawing is crude, but its just an idea at this point. When the axle tries to rotate upward, the green bar pulls the bracket downward on the pivot forcing itself against the spring, effectively prevent axle wrap. I plan to have several mounting holes in both brackets, so depending on which combination of holes you use you can change the instant center location around.

I think I may could make this around $250 depending on costs for the bracket material and shop time to cut it. I think this would be a good option for non-flip kit guys who dont want to have to press out that spring bushing and want to preserve ground clearance since everything is bolt on and above the axle.

Please discuss!
Old 07-10-2012, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me it seems like the same concept but the bar will be in tension rather than compression, which is better IMO because it won't buckle. Is there clearance above the axle and above the front of the leaf for that?
Old 07-10-2012, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you should just get the caltracs or assassin bars and be done with it, but I don't see why your idea won't work either. R&D is fun and all but so is using a proven setup that works... Haha

I installed my caltracs in just a few hours FWIW... Not a big deal
Old 07-10-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made almost the exact same drawing a few months back, have yet to transfer from paper to steel.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:01 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Nice. I have the heims and stuff picked out, and im about to go outside and measure stuff...
Old 07-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Well its a pulling force instead of a pushing force. The pushing force will have more lift to the front point on the spring which is what youd want. im sure your idea will work fine just not as good as one under the axle. the lower the pivot the more leverage it has to lift on the chassis.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Cute drawing.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:18 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It may help fight spring-wrap, but it won't improve your instant center or weight transfer. The bar needs to be below the axle, and the front pivot point needs to be below the front hanger to move the instant center forward. I'd post a pic, but photobucket is being a bitch....
Old 07-10-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

the only problem you might have is it wont allow the front of the chassis to lift as much like the others have said... may not get the axle wrap but could possibly still cause spinning problems due to the weight transfer not being as great and unloading the rear suspension...

if you could build it cheap enough it would be worth a shot .. it should help alot with axle wrap and since your 4wd it may work perfect
Old 07-10-2012, 01:21 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

it won't work because I said so aside from that awesome reason, i think the frame/hangar will be in the way....and you dont have a notched frame you may need one...IF the bar doesnt interfere with the frame in articulation.

if you decide not to reinvent the weel i got this for you

Name:  caltracks.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  46.7 KB

Quick Reply: Tell me why this wont work