Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Think I may have dodged a bullet....

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up running over to summit today and getting a moser (ta) cover. Looks awesome. Im sure it will help with my problem. I talked to my mechanic today and he said the ring gear bolts I had were not strong enough. Like when I stomp the gas the pinion pulls the ring gear enough to stretch the bolts and thats why they walked out.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by blake2kz71
I ended up running over to summit today and getting a moser (ta) cover. Looks awesome. Im sure it will help with my problem. I talked to my mechanic today and he said the ring gear bolts I had were not strong enough. Like when I stomp the gas the pinion pulls the ring gear enough to stretch the bolts and that's why they walked out.
I've never heard of that happening, the force applied to these bolts from the pinion is shear, not tension. Usually when bolts come loose like that is because the ring gear didn't get fully seated (even though it looked seated, and then the bolts are torqued. Then when the truck is driven the the pinion pushed the ring gear the rest of the way on and the bolts are no longer tight. This happens when the bolts are used to pull the ring gear on to the carrier. You should NEVER do that, the ring gear should be heated so it expands and then slid over the carrier, or pressed on with a large press. Those are Grade 8 bolts and will break, before they stretch and come loose.

Last edited by kbracing96; 05-01-2007 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by blake2kz71
Oh yeh they were torqued right. Iv had the tru-trac in for a few months without any problems. I watched the whole time and he torqued them right and put red locktite on them. Been doin some research and I think its from housing distortion. Im about to order a ta girdle and some arp bolts.
I just saw this, Housing defection dosen't cause bolts to back out, it lets the gears "push" apart so just the tips of the teeth are touching and that breaks teeth off of the gears. Not sure of your mods, but I don't think you are making the kind of power that could "flex" the housing (700hp+ with GOOD traction)
Old 05-01-2007, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeh i know im not making enough power but with sliding sideways with 33's doesnt help. I got the cover anyway. Ya know now that I think about it, thats the way he did it, he used the bolts to pull the ring gear on the carrier. Guess il have a little chat with him tomorow.