Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Thinking about getting an RCD lift...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Superlift kit looks great! I think it won't fit my 3/4 ton though. I called them awhile ago and they said I'd have to go with their older lift kits. Any kits out there that do not requrie welding?
Old 07-09-2005, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Due to the design of IFS all require some cutting and welding.

The Superlift f.i.t. kit is neat but the problem I had with it is 5/16 countersunk allen head bolts hold the skid plate and cross member brackets together. Although I am sure it works it seems kinda flimsey to me. How hard would it have been to go up a hair to 3/8's
Old 07-10-2005, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by facn8me
Due to the design of IFS all require some cutting and welding.

The Superlift f.i.t. kit is neat but the problem I had with it is 5/16 countersunk allen head bolts hold the skid plate and cross member brackets together. Although I am sure it works it seems kinda flimsey to me. How hard would it have been to go up a hair to 3/8's
Do you like your ProComp kit? Why did you choose that opposed to the otehr kits?
Old 07-10-2005, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

I choose the P.C. because of bang for buck. The kit is 1/4 steel. Designed well for the NBS trucks. I got Dual shock hoops and 6 reservior shocks for $1540 shipped. It also had the least amount of cutting. Zero cuts on the diff. Plus the track width stays the same. It came with add a leaves instead of just blocks. The only problem I have had is the alignment shop not torqueing the adjustment bolts. Now this was partly my fault(I guess) I do all my own work except Alignments and tranny rebuilds. I got the kit installed and adjusted the alignment to get it close cause it would be a couple of days till I got a chance to have it done on a machine. Well the tech that aligned it only had to adjust 1 alignment cam and the toe to get it aligned. Unfortunatlly he didn't check the other bolt's and after a bit of off roading they moved. After the second alignment and ME torqueing the bolts to spec along with etching the cams and frame, I have had zero problems. If it did happen to move now I can put it back to where it needs to be.
I also liked the fact that I didn't have to mess with the factory knuckles or bearings. No need to even break the ball joints loose.I don't know how long the idler arm and stuff will last but cognito said there idler arm support brackets were not nessacry with the P.C. kit.
It took me 14hrs to install the front kit by myself. Zero help, but I took my time. The rear add a leaves took 2 hrs or so.
If you want to check out the instructions online go to P.C. website and check out kit #51099
Old 07-10-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by OCBC
RCD is actually a 4" lift. The differential only drops 4", then they get an extra 2" by bumping up the torsion bars! YOu have to grind off your differential mount. WARNING! You CANNOT go back to stock. I do not want this kit for that reason!!!!
Cognito make a great 6" kit. THe Pro Comp looks decent. Also, CST is another good kit to look at. Yeah, the 17" rims limit your tire selection. I like the Toyo MT for tires!
You dont have a clue about the RCD. The RCD drops the LCA's a full 6 INCHES, however it only drops the differential 4.5 inches to retain the stock driveshaft. The problem with the kit is that when sitting at 6" it will have a slight angle to the CV's, but I think people whine about the CV angles too much anyways. Obviously you don't want a CV at 45 degrees, but if people can crank a stock truck 1.5 inches and it be fine, why can't you have the same amount on a RCD? BTW, I'd look into a Rancho too, 1 piece subframe.
Any kit will do though, the only breakage I've seen in person was on a Superlift full drop 6" kit and it was the UCA drop. I personally wouldn't run a Superlift if you paid me, especially the old style kit, as a member on another board who works for SL said for that kit they used "redneck engineering." Classy.

As for the Cognito it is a 7" knuckle lift, but the differential is dropped a full 7", so you'd have flat angles, unlike a Rancho, RCD, etc... I personally know Justin, the owner of Cognito and he makes a top notch product.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

So know I am still on hte fence with Cognito, RCD, ProComp and Rancho. Unfortunately I do not have all the knowledge to make the comparison and a decision.

Does the ProComp require welding? Why is the RCD considered better by the guy I talked to? He said stainless steel this and bilstein shocks but I guess I can get them with any kit.

I don't want too high of a lift. Would like to have 35s and still have some of the tire in the wheel well. I would like to have leaf springs in the back rather than blocks and a straight-forward install (no welding, if possible).
Old 07-20-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

That looks like a really nice kit. Kinda pricey. Anyone on the board have that?
Old 07-21-2005, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

i would get either superlift, cst, or the rockkrawler coilover system