Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

thinking of a locker??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 07:59 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thinking of a locker??

i have told alot of people on here, when they ask how i like my detroit, i always answer with "i love it" and i do.....did. i always know its there when i need it and it has gotten me home twice with a broken axle. but when i go to the 14bolt i may be going trutrac. the last axle i broke took out the locker. it busted the side where the bearing seats. infact it broke the inner race of the bearing in half. so i had to install a budies old g80 out of his 4.3l silverado to get by. and let me tell you, all the weird noises that i just "got use to" are gone. even clicks and clanks i thought had nothig to do with the locker are gone. i have to admit, its pretty nice driving around all quiet and stuff lol. it doesn't sound like my trans is about to fall out when it downshifts (while slowing down) turning into my neighbor hood is quiet and calm. it is strang te amount of racket that thing made. like i said i had just got use to it and kinda forgot about it all. until i threw in the g80.

now i know the g80 is weak, i'm taking it easy on it until i can get my 14bolt. i don't wanna break it any time soon.

i just thought i'd post what i have learned and come to relized about the detroit is all. if i were making a truck that off road alot like when i bought the detroit, i'd do it all over agian in a second. but for street use i think i'll go with the trutrac this next time.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thinking about going to a TruTrac sometime soon, but is it worth the $420+ over the G80 if I don't plan on my tahoe ever seeing the track?

I remember putting a locker in my Bronco back in the day and it was night and day over the open diff, I only wish I had done that first b/c it felt MUCH safer in the rain on on slippery stuff on/offroad. But if I am going from limited slip to a higher quality limited slip, is it going to be noticeble around town, or is the money better spent elsewhere?
Old 10-14-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

One thing I do notice with my trutrac is that if it's wet out and I make a sharp right hand turn the rear tends to jerk a bit. I'm assuming that's the trutrac locking up the rear. Otherwise, it's a lot better than the G80. No more clunking around or disengaging when I don't want it to. If you do go with a 14 bolt, I would just roll with the stock G80 that comes in that. I think it's a lot beefier than the unit in the 10 bolt
Old 10-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Baltimore Whore

The tru track is by far the best unit avail right now. No clutches to wear out, no noises.. The thing is a solid hunk of metal.. It is almost unbreakable... I say go for it.. It is def worth the price, esp if you find a deal...
Old 10-14-2009, 11:36 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
If you do go with a 14 bolt, I would just roll with the stock G80 that comes in that. I think it's a lot beefier than the unit in the 10 bolt
The G80's a POS in the 14 bolt too, my buddy's broke on his 2500 under normal driving conditions...
Old 10-14-2009, 11:45 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Detroit Locker very likely had a lot to do with you breaking axles at the track. It was stressing your axle shafts during normal everyday driving, thus weakening them. Then you get to the track, give them the ultimate stress test, and "POP"!!

You should be very happy with an Eaton LSD or the Tru-Trac, both will fill your needs at the track, and be easier on parts for DD.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:21 AM
12 Second Truck Club

its a good thought but the one axle was only 3 weeks old. either way its broke now and i'm not putting any more money in the 10bolt. the 14 bolt with a trutrac is going.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Baltimore Whore

**** before I would do that whole swap, I would get a set of moser axles in there with a tru trac.. I doubt your going to break one of them...
Old 10-15-2009, 11:22 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
**** before I would do that whole swap, I would get a set of moser axles in there with a tru trac.. I doubt your going to break one of them...
I agree. But it's not my truck.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:36 PM
12 Second Truck Club

yeah, and then i tweek the housing and rip my ring and pinion apart. why is it that no one can believe that i'm making enough power and weigh enough to break the axle lagitly? the other suv's runing time like mine or better are 4wd or AWD. the ones that aren't have swapped to the 14bolt. on because he broke his **** and the other cause he didn't wanna break his ****. i didn't have this issue with my AWD but now that i swapped to 2wd its breaking them. both times with a ton of boost on the launch. there are a few 2wd trucks that have busted the axles also. they snap right at the spline. its the smallest part of the axle.

Quick Reply: thinking of a locker??