Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

thinking outloud and need some help

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 06:17 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thinking outloud and need some help

i have an idea i may try this summer. my car is broke and has been down for a while. for a little back ground before i get asked why why why, i got this car when i joined the navy and it was my first car ever to buy myself and pay out in full. its a 97 4dr civic. now i could spend thousands of dollar and make it very fast, and be another fast *** 4 banger but i like rear wheel drive and ls power. so i'm thinking of tearing into this guy. but first i need to do some home work and thats why i'm in this section right now.

i've seen guys do this and the seem to always go IRS. but i'm thinking more along the lines of 4link or the like and a striaght axle. now i understand 4-link for the most part but what i don't get is the torque arm thing the camaros use and why they use it. do you have to have this for a propper 4-link? am i missing something. never seen it on a truck so...

thanks for the help. either way this will probably happen so telling me not to is just gonna make me wanna do it more.

Last edited by TURBHOE; 01-12-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:31 PM
12 Second Truck Club

i'd like to make a note that i have never actually looked at a camaro suspension. and in my research as of like two minutes ago, it looks like the camaro does not actually use a 4 link.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pretty sure the new Camaro does. Post something on ls1tech in the conversions section maybe.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:51 PM
12 Second Truck Club

well the new camaro is IRS. not solid axle.

Last edited by TURBHOE; 01-12-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The torque arm helps with axle wrap. It connects to the trans crossmember and as it flows towards the rear it gets wider, then at the rear it mounts on the top and bottom of the diff. Pretty simple concept. It does the same thing as the upper and lower bars of a 4 link, simply attempting to prevent axle wrap.

Check it out if you haven't seen one...
http://image.gmhightechperformance.c...torque_arm.jpg
Old 01-07-2012, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

there is a guy that runs a twin turbo v8 rwd civic at e-town I will try and find pics and vids.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

found some

pass
Twin turbo V8 Civic - YouTube
Old 01-08-2012, 01:45 AM
12 Second Truck Club

That's bad ***. Hell I was just thinking a mild single turbo 5.3. Basically I was thinking of taking my tahoe motor and turbo for the car and upgrading the Tahoe.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:52 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Also, thinking in my head (not around my car right now) my car has lower trailing arms that are kinda long so I may be able to use that point (with bracing) for my lower links.

So I do just lower links with coil overs all I need is the torque arm? Like a three link? If so I would have to remove as much material. The car is a unibody (obviously) but it has what seems to be mold in frame rails. They stick down further than the floor and run the length of the car. So I'm thinking if I use some 2x3 steel, I could cut the bottom out of these rails and slide the square tubing inside there and weld it in to make like subframe connector/full frame. Does this make since? I just got off a 12 shift so I'm kinda tired.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neilownz
Pretty sure the new Camaro does. Post something on ls1tech in the conversions section maybe.
+1 This is where this thread should be!Conversions & Hybrids - LS1TECH I really hate to be a dick but this is performance trucks not hopped up ls1 Honda's!

Quick Reply: thinking outloud and need some help