Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

thinking outloud and need some help

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 10:58 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep pan hard or a watts link. depending on width i'a prolly just go panhard.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:43 PM
12 Second Truck Club

thing thing i'm trying to learn and understand are things such as: roll center, instant center, center of gravity, anti lift and what ever else i'm missing here. the project will probably not start for another year. i have to get my 80e swap done on my tahoe and finish my wifes car up. then after those two are 100% then i will start on my setup. the daily drivers have to be good to go before i do anything to my car.

i'm thinking about converting my current 4l60e to 2wd and running it in my build. being that i already have the tc and the trans is built why not use it. stick would be great but i would loose alot of money going that route.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:16 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

There is no reason not to use parts you already have especially in a much lighter car. Its actually a Great Idea!

My point was that its a good idea to set a goal with the car and build it accordingly. Yes I am speaking from experience. I have started projects with one Idea only to have it snow ball into something else wasting both time and money on a project only to accomplish very little in regards to achieving something usable.

If your dead set on building something out of the 4 dr civic there is nothing wrong with that. Just be aware that your not going to be able to just convert the engine and trans for rear wheel drive, bolt in a rear end, put a couple sheet metal patches in, and possibly slap a basic cage in it. Its most likely going to require some extensive work and you will have to build a solid structure to work from. Don't focus your build on Specific parts, consider the overall structure you will need to build from first.

Although that may have sounded harsh, that was Not meant to be offensive. Like the other links I posted I want you to realize what it will take to achieve what your describing. If any thing I would like to encourage you to see your projects through.

Since your looking to the mustang for the front end you may also want to consider it for the rear suspension. The 8.8 is very stout and you can get plenty of parts from various other vehicles in the wrecking yard if your on a budget. The suspension design in general also works very well. As a bonus there are also several good deals on used aftermarket parts.

I am just guessing that your looking at 79-93 stuff for the front K member. The common 5 lug swap in the front is done with SN95 spindles from 94-96 mustang. I am not an expert but I believe when use those Later model spindles that it will kick your front track width out another 1 inch or so.

Keep Us posted on what you end up deciding...
Old 04-29-2012, 11:08 AM
12 Second Truck Club

I've tried to reply like 5 times and this page keeps getting screwed up some how. I'll try again tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:42 PM
12 Second Truck Club

ok, so i replied then the internet **** and lost it all so i have to try and remember what i wrote.

the goal of the car is to be fun to drive, handle well and take to the drag strip. but its not going to be a drag car only thing. i'm thinking camed out allmotor build no forced induction.

i was looking at useing the 8.8 rear and thats why i looked at the mustang k member. also i found bolt on torque arm setups that the mustang guys run. according to what i read so far the torque arm seems to handle better than the stock 4 link.

like i said before this project won't start for at least another year. i'm in the reading learning understanding phase right now. that being said, if you don't mind can you post up some key suspension terms i should look up. like roll center, instant center, anti squat and so on. i appeciate the help on this.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:07 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by TURBHOE
ok, so i replied then the internet **** and lost it all so i have to try and remember what i wrote.

the goal of the car is to be fun to drive, handle well and take to the drag strip. but its not going to be a drag car only thing. i'm thinking camed out allmotor build no forced induction.

i was looking at useing the 8.8 rear and thats why i looked at the mustang k member. also i found bolt on torque arm setups that the mustang guys run. according to what i read so far the torque arm seems to handle better than the stock 4 link.

like i said before this project won't start for at least another year. i'm in the reading learning understanding phase right now. that being said, if you don't mind can you post up some key suspension terms i should look up. like roll center, instant center, anti squat and so on. i appeciate the help on this.
Well in the stock forum the 4 link is limited but if you look at what guys building 25.3 chassis are doing you might be surprised. especially the X275 cars. The reason I said 4 link is because you mentioned a versatile all around set up. Of course now that I mention it its a pain for me to find a detailed build setup showing what they are doing in terms of modifying the mounting points but this is what I found.

Specifically look at what there doing to the chassis mounting points. Even the wagon in the last link.

http://www.racecraft.com/images/Buil...20004%20SM.jpg from here

RACECRAFT INC. X275 RACECAR Camaro Mustang Chassis Suspension K-Member Control Arm Drop Spindles Fabrication

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket