Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

thinking of putting a cage in

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Five points means five frame contact points. I'm not sure I've ever seen a 5 point 'cage, you'd have to have a middle vetical bar in the back to get 5 points without too much cabin intrusion.....Are you sure it's not a 5-point harness and a 6-point cage above 9.99's ??
Old 06-11-2006, 04:42 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is a 5 point "roll bar" that you have to have. it needs to be exactly like the one i have but you can leave the pasenger door bar out if you want. thats what makes it a 5 point instead of the 6 point that i have. i did a lot of research and there is no way they will accept anything that doesn't go out the back.

if you have an ext cab you might be able to keep it in the cab or at least have it come thru the cab under the window so you can't see it.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by parish8
it is a 5 point "roll bar" that you have to have. it needs to be exactly like the one i have but you can leave the pasenger door bar out if you want. thats what makes it a 5 point instead of the 6 point that i have.
I learn something new every day....
Old 06-11-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks again guys, looks like I will be copying you there parish.. Thanks
Old 06-11-2006, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I coudlnt find the cage rules on thier website.

Can someone tell me if slowprocess's cage is legal? and what time it is legal to?
Old 06-13-2006, 08:46 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onebadrubi
I coudlnt find the cage rules on thier website.

Can someone tell me if slowprocess's cage is legal? and what time it is legal to?
can you link to pics of his cage?

it has to be at least a 5 points. the main hoop is two, the bars out the back are two and the door bar is the 5th point. most people just do both door bars and that is a 6 point but there are no rules saying you need the pasenger door bar.

there are spacific rules for exactly where the bars tie in. a 5point/6point is legal down to 10.00. to run faster than that you need a full cage. i dont know how many points a full cage is but it has the bars around the top of the cab and down the door pillars. probably more is required. a cage is legal down to 8.50. below 8.50 you prety much need a funny car cage.

most tracks(every track i have been to) doesn't look all that close at the roll bar so if it isn't prefect you will probably be ok. once you get down into the 9's i think they look closer at EVERYTHING so your cage better be up to specs. i know my door bars are a little low but i have been to 7 tracks now and no one has said a thing about it.

an ext cab truck could probably keep the entire roll bar in the cab and get away with it.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TURBO8
Ok! I did a search and I think I only need a 5 point roll bar untill 9.99's is the fith point the center cross bar of the roll bar? Correct me if I am wrong please. I am thinking of doing a set up like slowprocess except with straight bars. I was thinking of doing the door bars and roll bars, instead of going out of the back window to the frame. This would be a 5 point right? They are really cracking down on modified vehicals around here, and I think the bars going to the back is a dead giveaway. They look for modifications and then pul you over and looks for emissions tampering, I dont want to give them a reason to look. I looked at the nhra website and it didn't specify witch way you had to go. It just said a 5 point roll bar or cage. Please help!
You could make the two back tubes look like a light bar if you don't want it to be a give away. It would actually be kind of sleeper too. Then just take the lights off when you get to the track. I think the ultamate sleeper thing to do is to form a roll bar so it looked like a ladder rack.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Or hide it with some Sail panels like my Avalanche has! Use a cab fairing!!!!
Old 06-14-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

Nice! I like it..