Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

those with 6L80E/6L90E transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 08:10 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default those with 6L80E/6L90E transmissions

curious, how do you like it? compared to a 4spd Auto? anyone take any trq management out of them? thoughts?
Old 03-08-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 6L80E is considerable better than the 4L60E in many respects. It is much stronger for one. It weighs only slightly more and the gear spacing is much better matched to keep the engine in its power band considering the weight and tight stock torque converters. Its close to running a loose converter but you still get good street manners and good mpg's.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:05 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by Wide Open
The 6L80E is considerable better than the 4L60E in many respects. It is much stronger for one. It weighs only slightly more and the gear spacing is much better matched to keep the engine in its power band considering the weight and tight stock torque converters. Its close to running a loose converter but you still get good street manners and good mpg's.
I hear all that! but how do YOU like it? how does it drive?
Old 03-08-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I really like it is what I was trying to say. First gear is incredible. I can spin all four tires at launch and again at the 1-2 shift. Acceleration never seems to fall off even hitting triple digit speeds. I tow my car trailer from time to time and the gear spacing is awesome. I wish I had more control over the transmission shifting when towing. I would like to be able to lock in 5th gear longer when towing. The only thing I don't like, and this is specific to my current setup, is that I lose about .4 seconds getting to 60 mph because I have the 2-3 shift come up at 58 mph. I have 3.73 gears and a fairly short 30.5" tire. Nothing that can't be overcome though.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:56 PM
what a rush!

very nice
Old 03-10-2008, 09:38 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Drives nice, really smooth shifts now with the latest GM TCM updates. Like wide_open mentioned it keeps your motor in the powerband....shifts land right around peak Tq on my motor..... with 3.42's and 32'' tall tires my 1st gear is done by 39mph....oh did I mention 20mpg hwy @ 70mph? Only turning 1,900-2k rpm @ 80mph where fuel economy drops to around 18-18.5 mpg...

Last edited by markislive78; 03-10-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, acceleration is much improved with this 6L90E over the 4L65E. There are almost no dead spots it seems when you punch it.

It takes a little getting used to though on the highway because with the old 4 speeds you could give it a little throttle and it would downshift. It takes quite a bit of throttle to get this sucker to come outta overdrive. I know that is only a programming deal but, in stock form it does that.

The shifts are not harsh at all but, very positive. By that I mean when it shifts it shifts, there is no feeling of slipping or slamming into gear. It just shifts and goes into gear smooth and quick.

When I first got the truck I nailed it while cruising around 65-70. That is something I did quite a bit in my old truck but, when I figured I was doing 80-85 like I would have been in my old truck I was really getting close to the 98mph speed limiter. Like I said, no dead spots and every gear just pulls and pulls.

Conclusion - I LIKE IT!! I hope it is strong like they say it is.

BTW, the first gear is pretty nice. At WOT it's useless because of the crap programming killing the power but, at part throttle the truck just leaps forward from a stop. For a brief second I might even compare the feeling to a goose of the throttle with a radix. My truck has 3.42:1 gears and 265/70/17 tires.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:50 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
It takes a little getting used to though on the highway because with the old 4 speeds you could give it a little throttle and it would downshift. It takes quite a bit of throttle to get this sucker to come outta overdrive. I know that is only a programming deal but, in stock form it does that.
Same here man... With the stock tune I would have to give her quite a bit of pedal to downshift on the hwy.....not the case with HPTuners though, real pleasure to drive now...

Last edited by markislive78; 03-10-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markislive78
Same here man... With the stock tune I would have to give her quite a bit of pedal to downshift on the hwy.....not the case with HPTuners though, real pleasure to drive now...
I have LOOKED at the transmission tables with efilive but, don't think I'm going to mess with them.............I will let a professional have a go though.

What is the TCM update you are talking about for?
Old 03-10-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
I have LOOKED at the transmission tables with efilive but, don't think I'm going to mess with them.............I will let a professional have a go though.

What is the TCM update you are talking about for?
I have messed with the shift points but ended up putting it back to stock because revving it harder didn't seem to make any difference in acceleration. There is a huge acceleration swell once third gear hits though. I haven't quite figured out what the deal is but first and second seem somewhat subdued; third and fourth pull real hard. I had also removed the TM but put that back because the 1-2 was a gorrilla shift and it probably isn't very good for the tranny with AWD.

I was wondering about the TCM update also.

Quick Reply: those with 6L80E/6L90E transmissions