Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

For those who are traction impared...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default For those who are traction impared...

on the street, what modification of the suspension helped the most for you?

Ex. caltracs, adjustable shocks, changing pinion angle, etc...

As of now my rear suspension is stock besides a 2" drop hanger. I have no weird vibrations at any speeds, and as far as I can tell, the pinion angle looks fine. If need be I can get a get a measurement of the exact angle for future reference.

Even with a 285 performance tire on a heavy Titan wheel, it destroys the tires with anything over half throttle if I'm really trying to get moving, and still spins in 2nd gear somewhat. I know I can't expect to move out from a dig at full throttle, but I'd like to at least be able to enjoy first gear at more than half throttle sometimes.

Note: I have NO traction problems at the track with slicks, no wheel hop, nothing.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:59 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try those nitto 555r's
Old 01-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Originally Posted by dlt76028
try those nitto 555r's
I think they would help, but I really think weight transfer is my problem now. No tire will help if I can't get enough weight back there to force traction.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem is you need to get some weight back there.Which entails lowering but along with that comes shitty pinion angle plus frame clearence is compromised.Then comes wheel hop so my reccomendation is go with some 2" hangers 6 degree shims carrier bearing relocation,and caltracs.Keep in mind tow capacity will be less but if you c-notch you will gain capacity back.To be cheap you could remove the overloads and install caltracs but thats not how I would do it.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Wearin' da big hat

I do not want to remove my overload because of all the stories I've heard of it riding like **** without it. I do plan on lowering it sometime in the future with a set of hangers and C-notching it if necessary.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok I pretty much covered what I have done with my rear.The problems start rising soon as you get that extra 2" drop plus weight transfer.If you tow or haul c-notching is a must unless you intall helper bags.Theres no cheap way to get what you want unfortunaley.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

IIRC, TXSilverado had drop hangers/shackles and then switched to a flip kit and improved his track time with no other mods.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
Ok I pretty much covered what I have done with my rear.The problems start rising soon as you get that extra 2" drop plus weight transfer.If you tow or haul c-notching is a must unless you intall helper bags.Theres no cheap way to get what you want unfortunaley.
I never tow anything, and I do not usually haul anything, or at least not enough times to really worry about it. Most of my driving is highway or around town to get food or whatever. I will do a C-notch if I have problems daily driving the truck, but if it's not bad I don't plan on doing it.

I am prepared to do cal-tracs as well, as long as they actually help on the street. I don't have traction problems at the track (as of now) so I'm not all that concerned with that.

What about shocks? I have Bilstein HD shocks on the back right now, and I know I will have to change shocks with a 4" drop, but with just 2" shackles right now, would an adjustable shock help?
Old 01-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Originally Posted by AJII
IIRC, TXSilverado had drop hangers/shackles and then switched to a flip kit and improved his track time with no other mods.
Not looking to go that low, a 2/4 is the most I'd want to go. The 99-07 trucks are low enough as it is already.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am looking at using leaf spring clamps and sliders in place of my traction bars to see if that helps..about $100 gets you everything so i figured i would try it.

Quick Reply: For those who are traction impared...