Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Thoughts on a Hotchkis 2/4 Suspension kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 01:21 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Reaper
On my 02 silverado, at first I did the DJM LCA's and hangers/shackles. I hated the ride. After a lot of experimenting with that setup, I finally changed back to the stock LCA's and the stock hangers/shackles and went with the hotchkis front and rear 2/4 drop. It was a little firmer than stock but it also rode a lot better, and I could finally get a correct alignment also, which I was never able to get from the djm lca's. I really liked the hotchkis setup with the edelbrock ias shocks I had.
What was wrong with the ride with the DJM LCA's? I've had them on my wish list for a while, but if the ride is that greatly affected I may start considering spindles (I'm 4x4 so no drop front springs for me). DJM does make new plates for the control arm adjusters in the front that's supposed to allow you to get the alignment within specs, but I don't know of anyone using them...

I don't like the loss of turning radius with the spindles though, but I have heard of guys grinding on the bump stop area of the spindle to get some radius back...
Old 02-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
What was wrong with the ride with the DJM LCA's? I've had them on my wish list for a while, but if the ride is that greatly affected I may start considering spindles (I'm 4x4 so no drop front springs for me). DJM does make new plates for the control arm adjusters in the front that's supposed to allow you to get the alignment within specs, but I don't know of anyone using them...

I don't like the loss of turning radius with the spindles though, but I have heard of guys grinding on the bump stop area of the spindle to get some radius back...
i had the DJM LCAs and even with new tie rods, i still had bumpsteer.
the ride was great though, and if you can handle bumpsteer thats the only issue.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:27 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ketis
i had the DJM LCAs and even with new tie rods, i still had bumpsteer.
the ride was great though, and if you can handle bumpsteer thats the only issue.
Bumpsteer is the main issue that I'm having with the lowering keys...on a smoothish surface the truck rides great, but harsh bumps suck
Old 02-28-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you will, I use the Belltech Urethane Drop Bumpstops Front #B4923 Rear #B4922. you will like the Hotchkis set up, I do.

down the line you may want to get the Hotchkis Performance Front 1-7/16"(H) And Rear 1"(H) Sway Bars #2231

g/l with your install
Old 03-01-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for those part numbers. Probably going to be a few weeks til i get them it. Still have my headers sitting here staring at me haha.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i just put hotchkis springs on my truck, 2" front springs, 4" rear springs, with a few other things to get a few inches lower. the truck rides almost perfectly (bumpsteer sucks) now IMO. handles like its on rails, aligned out perfectly, no pinion angle issues, Hotchkis makes great products if you ask me.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by budhayes3

For one, I had this kit in 2003. I hear it has changed some since then. The problems I had was that it wouldn't align to stock specs as promised, the ball joints were bad within a year, bumpsteer as mentioned above, and it only rode decent on stock rim/tire setup. Mike at DJM was impossible to deal with also. The hotchkiss kit was a much better kit to me for my model year truck.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

Getting close to getting the kit in. Trying to decide on shocks. I would love QA1's but they are a little pricey... Edelbrock's maybe, Are the adjustable Rancho 9000x's any good? Suggestions welcome.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:44 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've ran the Edelbrock IAS shocks since day one with my Hotchkis TVS 2/4 (F&R springs and F&R sway bars).
I'm going to put new shocks on now while the truck is down for the engine re-build AND because the Edelbrocks have 100k +/- miles on them.
With all of the positive feedback on this site about the Belltech Street Performance shocks, I believe I am going with them this time.
I had issues with front tire wear after the TVS install and the fix ended up being a pair of Daystar coil spring spacers. The spacers raised the truck up just enough to restore adjustability w/ the alignment...that combined with Moog's Problem Solver front control arm bushings. I contributed the premature inside wear on the front tires to the extra weight of the ProCharger and FMIC because, at the time, I could not find anyone that had the same experience with the Hotchkis kit...and no one I found w/ the kit had all that extra weight hanging in the front. I just hated that it took 3 pair of front tires to figure it out.