Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Thump and vibration drivers side 05 GMC

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Thump and vibration drivers side 05 GMC

My 05 1500 HD 4X4 just had it's front diff reparied for the second time for oil leaks as the shop didn't do it right the first time so to speak. Now I have a thumping clunking sound coupled with a vibration audible at slow speeds and felt in the drivers side floor pan while in 2 wheel drive. I jacked up the truck, yanked the front tire and can't find anything loose or visually wrong with the truck. The front axle freewheels nice and smoothe and is definitely in 2 wheel drive. The front driveshaft spins free as it should because the t case is not engaged nor is the differential.

The drivers front wheel bearing is tight and turns nice and smooth with no lateral play. The CV axle is tightly bolted to the diff flange as well as into the hub.... and as far as I know it's never been removed from the hub in the trucks entire life.

It's like they left something loose or something is now rubbing but I will be dammed if I can find it. Diff bolts are tight......Simple stuff like shock bolts, sway bar end links and so forth are good. I even swapped the front tire with another and nothing changed. The front driveshaft u joints are tight and it's lined up correctly in the yolk..... not that it would matter when the truck is in 2 wheel drive so it's not loaded. Whether I am braking or not makes no difference, neutral makes no difference.....

Weird thing too is the faster I go... the less noticeable it becomes.

It's going back but if it didn't have to I would be happy with that too!