Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Tie Rod Flip Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Silv4.8
so what does the inverted tie rod actually do? my spindle kit said I may need to invert the tie rod ends, but I didnt. And there was like an 05 silverado that came in to my work the other day with the ball joints inverted. so it made me confused since that was a 2wd and I thought the inversion was only for AWD/4WD.
tie rod flip kit inserts allow you to relocate your tie rod through the bottom up on the spindle. These are used when you lower your vehicle in the front to prevent dangerous unwanted Bumpsteer. If you have bumpsteer after lowering it is probably because of your tie rods angle.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JJ_TURBO
Yes you are right, no coil springs, but it must use the same spindles, inner and outer tie rod ends etc. as any gm truck, I just want to make sure.
all the suvs 2wd awd and 4wd have the same spindles supspension and steering all the 1500 series 99-07 trucks have the same spindles

so u shouldnt have a problem as long as u arent tryin to buy the 2wd truck parts u would need a 4wd truck part or a 2wd suv part
Old 03-26-2008, 12:48 AM
Formerly Low_LQ4 - 6/6/10

Damn I need this really bad.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One of my co-workers has an Escalade, I believe its an '03 or 04 and it does not have a steering rack, it has the parallel steering system. Do you have a steering rack???
Old 03-28-2008, 05:34 PM
Teching In

I wonder if anybody sells just the inserts. I got access to a tap and bit. spending $100 plus on this seems crazy there's got to be a cheaper solution IMO

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.as...&partid=461071
Guess it would help if would've just looked still seems kind of pricey but i guess they can't just give em away

Last edited by Shahnp1; 03-28-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:39 PM
FormerVendor

thats why i have the inserts
Its not as easy as buying those above and using them, Ask me how i know!
those require a 3/4 20 tap`which is very rare and expensive! the inserts i have use a common 3/4 16 tap and 11/16th bit

Last edited by Derek @ EDO; 03-28-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to burst the bubble on you guys, but this isn't really the best way to fix your bump steer. If you look up basic front suspension geometry you want the tie rod angles to be on the same plane as the lower control arm, and flipping them puts these on completely different planes. So yes sometimes it will help with bump steer but it's definitely a hit or miss thing, some have had good luck others have had bad luck, where it actually made bumpsteer worse. Mainly because since they are on different planes it will increase toe in and out throughout travel. Being a static drop I'm sure it's not a huge change through out and I'm not trying to hurt your sale DLH but I wanted to share some information I've learned along the way.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:49 PM
FormerVendor

my tie rods are on the same plane lol.

Assume your truck is @ stock height. Tie rods are on the same plane.
assume your truck is lowered 4" you've just moved your suspension components up 4"
now your tie rod is at an angle going upward.

To the left is what my tie rods looked like after lowering 4" in the front with LCA's
After i flipped the tie rod it now looks like like the image shows to the right.
As you can see my tie rods are still on the same plane or very close to it.
Much closer to the same plane then what it was after i lowered it.

I was experiencing bump steer when the suspension would travel upwards, now my tie rods can "travel" and not experience the bump steer.

You really have to look at the angle of the tie rod while the suspension is under load, if its at an incline and if flipping it would level it out i don't see how any issues could occur.

Bump steer can be caused by other things though, you just cant assume the tie rods need to be flipped and expect it to resolve the issue. You have to visually inspect them.

There are many ways of lowering your vehicle, some may not change the pitch in the tie rod at all.
I can just tell you my experience with LCA's
Old 03-28-2008, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

well if you lower the truck the arms angle upwards and that means the tierods should too, so no they wouldn't be on the same plane. here is a picture showing it on my old setup.

here it is unflipped, the arms go upward and so do the tierods

here theyre flipped and the tierod is flat and the arms still go upward, mean throughout travel they arc differently, changing your toe and causing bumpsteer issues

Old 03-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Formerly Low_LQ4 - 6/6/10

Originally Posted by GMracer
Thats my problem. The tie rod hits the sway bar and gets the rods bent. What would be the best way to fix this?

Quick Reply: Tie Rod Flip Kit