Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Tie rod swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie rod swap

Was told my truck having 2" drop springs up front would not align. I looked at it and it has about a quarter inch more of adjustment in the back caster and tons in the front one. I do notice a lot of bump steer, my thought is that the tie rods being at a steep angle up is causing my issue. I think I am going to drill the knuckle out to the exact tie rod size and turn the tie rod over to come in from the under side before I take it to the next shop to get the alignment. What are the thoughts on swapping the tie rods to under? I am going to lock tite the tie rod nut when they are done and try to drill a cotter pin hole in it as well for safety. Does anyone else have bump steer with lowering springs? Thanks Ryan
Old 10-18-2012, 07:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I feel your pain! It can get pretty damn annoying..

I'm surprised you get bumpsteer with just a 2" coil. I had no issues on the last truck with 3" drop coils, but I think I might have just gotten lucky...

On my current truck, I've got DJM Lower CA's and stock springs trimmed for about a 5" drop up front... Rides great, but I had serious bump steer issues, even with brand new inner and outer TRE's, new moog UCA bushings and upper ballpoints...
The shitty DJM ball joints went bad in less than 6 months. So I Got moog's=WAY better. Then I replaced the PS pump(twice), new rack and pinion and new wheel bearings, which actually seemed to help tighten things up.. Then upper int. steering shaft assembly, helped a TON. Then I flipped the tie rods on the knuckles and got it re-aligned. The angles aren't perfect, but a lot better than before. I noticed a much quicker/responsive steering, which is nice, and I've finally now eliminated at least 95-99% of the bumpsteer. I know some guys on GMFS swapped to heims, but I didn't want to take any chances picking up road vibrations through the steering wheel.. I can't speak on wether it does or does not.

I'm considering upgrading with tie rod sleeves or Fabtech(or Cognito) HD TRE's to strengthen the weak stock tie rods. The the heavier wheels and wider tires seem to have their way w/ them on bumpy roads.

Last edited by chris99gmc; 10-18-2012 at 07:57 AM.