Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Tire balance or Drive line angle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 11:47 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire balance or Drive line angle?

My truck has some serious vibrations, but only between around 25-30mph and up to 55mph or so. It seems to be more severe when I'm coasting and less severe when under moderate acceleration. Cruising it's noticably severe but not as bad as decel.

I realized that I set up the axle for a 1 piece DS (so the 1* wedge facing the opposite direction from what the instructions say for a 2 piece DS) and I did not install the carrier bearing spacer thing as I built a custom mount for the carrier bearing anyway.

Here's the catch, the tires were supposedly balanced when mounted in FL, but when they did the rims and tires for the wife's Av, we had to have it redone, and the shop said they had forgotten to do the "high performance balance" and redid it -- it's now fine. But it was never this bad either.

On top of that, the front PS tire has a groove cut in the back part of the hoop (came from when the wheel almost came off on the maiden voyage and the lower control arm bolt tried to eat it's way through the hoop )

The question is: reset the rear wedges today or wait until after I get the tires rebalanced?
Old 09-16-2007, 11:52 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Usually a bad pinion agle will feel worse under a load, on acceleration. I'd try the wheel balancing or even better, rotate and balance.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:59 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Can't really rotate anymore -- just side to side. I'll see if I can get a balance today. Also might need a new hoop for that wheel , but we'll see.

Oh, I should also mention that I set up the DS with the current wedge set up.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am sure it isn't it, but that description fits a rear end going bad. I doubt that's it, so I'd definitely want to point towards driveline/pinion angle as well.

That hoop, I would think you'd feel that vibration in the steering wheel more so than anywhere else. Did you keep your conversion of 2wd? Then I doubt that front wheel is the culprit.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:24 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

I do feel it mostly in the steering wheel, but it's bad enough you can feel it in the passenger seat (through out actually). I was just thinking about this, and I wonder if that wheel got popped out of round...

I was thinking maybe the weight transfer under load is why you don't feel it as much -- not as much force on the bad wheel??

Taking it try a balance on Tuesday afternoon and we'll through it up on the rack and take a look.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:25 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
Did you keep your conversion of 2wd? Then I doubt that front wheel is the culprit.
Not sure what you mean by this. It is still 2wd.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought for some reaosn I remember you "talking" about gathering the parts to go back to AWD. Maybe it was parish. LOL I's been a long morning.

You feel it in the steering wheel, then all points to the front end.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:20 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

That's actually good news at this point -- might cost a lot, but an easy fix (e.g. no welder required hehe).
Old 09-19-2007, 06:27 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Thumbs up Fixed!!

And the answer is: NONE OF THE ABOVE lol

You're going to love this... When they cut my wheels, the cut the ID of the center to the exact OD of the hub. So, when you put on the wheels, they would be on tight and you could torque (or even over torque) them to your hearts content but they never seated the rotors. I had them on so tight, they had to knock the wheels off with a mallet.

The whole issue (even the wheel almost coming off) stems from this. The wheels would move with a bump (shift) if the lugs weren't super tight. Even with the lugs super tight, the rotors could still shift -- in fact you could hear them knocking back and forth when the engine wasn't running. That was the source of the vibration in toto.

The wheels were both less than a gram out of balance.

We just clearenced the wheels a little so they'd slide right on and seat the rotor and bingo: butter smooth.

The best part about it is that I made a lot of friends (some serious gear heads) down at the shop and had a lot of fun.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Sweet!

Quick Reply: Tire balance or Drive line angle?