Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 10:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Tire choices

OK, here's the deal. I tried to get 50k out my original Americraps. I dropped my spare down some time ago when I got a flat. W/ no spare, Sat. morning went to work to find LR flat. It was a challenge gettin thru this last MI. winter. We get our fair share of rain, snow & ice. I want a better tire in dry. A great wet & snow is prolly more important to me. Anything will be an improvement. I went on Tire Rack & out of 65 tires, mine are #61.

The brands I like are Goodyear Triple Tread or Eagle F1 GSD3, Michelin LTX or Cross Terrain, BFG. Also considering Cooper Zeon XST & Pirelli ATR Scorpion. Unsure bout Toyo & Nitto.
Anybody had good luck w/ something they'd recommend?

BTW, 50100 mi. But they were shot over 5k miles ago, & were always bad in rain. I plan on Radix, but don't want a slick or drag radial now.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran Michelin LTX M/S on my 01 Tahoe in Chicagoland winters. VERY happy with them. Got minimum 75K out of the first two sets and had good wear when I got rid of it. Very quiet highway tire, EXCELLENT wet traction and pretty good snow traction. Expensive but worth it IMO.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

I read a lot of good on the Michelins. In either style, but some say just get the LTX instead of more $ Cross Terrain. I really like the Cooper XST price & tread design ( good for our weather too).
The 2 types of Goodyears too. I'll prolly go w/ 1 of these 5 but still researching.

I might change it up by going to say a 17", 18" or 20". But that adds to cost since now I'd need new wheels. I learn toward a 18" the most so I can stuff in a big brake. A 14" rotor will go in.

A 20" allows me to shove in a 15" rotor, the largest I want to go for both stoppin power & price!

Last edited by fastnblu; 07-21-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

I had the Cooper XST on my truck. They were a good dry tire, a mediocre wet tire and flat out sucked in more than a little mud. Got about 29K+/- miles out of them...pretty soft rubber. But they were on a heavy a$$ 4x4. Tread depth left a little to be desired.

Replacements were the Cooper ATR. These tires are the shiznits for multi-use! I really like them. The tread pattern is a bit more aggressive than the XST but are still quiet on the road. Sidewalls are solid with a proportional amount of wash compared to the sidewall height of the XSTs. Tread depth is about 30% more than the XST. I have about 20K miles on them and have more than 60% tread left.

Note both sets were 18". 285/60-XST and 275/70.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

I like the Coopers. I had Mastercraft Avenger GT's on my truck which is the same tire with a little different tread pattern and loved them. When I replaced them I went to a Mastercraft Courser HTR and they've performed flawlessly so far; and its the same as the Cooper Discoverer HT plus.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by StrokerAce03
I like the Coopers. I had Mastercraft Avenger GT's on my truck which is the same tire with a little different tread pattern and loved them. When I replaced them I went to a Mastercraft Courser HTR and they've performed flawlessly so far; and its the same as the Cooper Discoverer HT plus.
How's wet traction. I figured I 'd ask since I doubt u see snow. I don't drive in mud, so no worries there.

I won't buy Americraps again, but may consider the Genearl Grabber UHP. I read some reviews & price is decent.

Keep it coming guys. I appreciate the input thus far.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

fastnblu, when you figure out a size let me know and I'll do my best to shoot off a few good tires in your desired size. I work for one of the sponsors to the right. Discount Tire>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

EDIT: Just occurred to me that the actual sponsor to the right is Discount Tire Direct, which is the same company I work for except for I am locally based along with 780 more stores like the one I work for. Discount Tire Direct is our way of competing with Tirerack.com and a few other online based tire retailers. Without the stores I work for, there would be no DTD. Just wanted to clarify that.

Last edited by InchUp; 07-21-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

FWIW I can't speak highly enough about Toyo Proxes. I also like Coopers - and their domestic tradition - but in my experience they suffer from the same problem as many others - as the tread wears the compound hardens, leading to lousy wet traction and ride quality. The Toyos, after 40k miles, are still soft, ride well, and grip like new. I can't speak to harsh winter driving, but in the rain they're incredible - and in dry conditions...just damn.

One more acronym...FWIWIMO 50k miles out of any truck tire is pretty outstanding.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have used the Toyo Proxes and they worked well. However, I recently switched to the General UHP and I REALLY like them. The wet/dry traction on the UHPs are really good, the tread life has been really nice as well. For the price, you can't hardly beat the UHP.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

^ I hope they last for you. The price is intoxicating - I can't believe how cheap they are. However, the feedback I've heard is that after 20k miles you're rushing to replace them. Hopefully your mileage varies in the other direction.

Quick Reply: Tire choices