Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

torque comverter chatter

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default torque comverter chatter

Anyone have noise coming from Their torque converter? I started hearing some noise the other day and if i out it in park it just makes it a little bIt. Put it in reverse or drive it makes it more. And if i put it in nuetral it still makes the noise just not as bad as in drive. I can also hear it when im Driving. Converter isnt very old at all. My 60e converter used to make a little noise but not like this.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:20 AM
Staging Lane

I did at one point, thought it was valvetrain noise, turns out i didn't torque the convertor bolts and they were loose causing the flexplate to chatter and make noise under conditions .
Old 02-06-2015, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Check tq converter bolts and flexplate bolts like said. Are using any shims between your converter and flexplate?
Old 02-17-2015, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cwalker2006
Anyone have noise coming from Their torque converter? I started hearing some noise the other day and if i out it in park it just makes it a little bIt. Put it in reverse or drive it makes it more. And if i put it in nuetral it still makes the noise just not as bad as in drive. I can also hear it when im Driving. Converter isnt very old at all. My 60e converter used to make a little noise but not like this.
Sounds almost exactly like my situation. Is it still a 6l80e and what stall are you running? I had a 2800 yank put in mine by a shop. Mine sounds more like a intermittent wobble noise combined with a light knock coming from the floor board right above the trans. Its gets louder in drive but you can still hear it in park. Sometimes and somedays its seems louder than others but its really random actually. I have been trying to listen for the noise while under the truck but its kind of hard to hear anything. Its really annoying actually. I also tried checking the torque converter bolts but i could only get to two of them and they where fine. I am also guessing they didn't shim it correctly. Thats the only thing i can think of. My truck only makes 440RWHP and has 37k miles, so i can't see how the trans would be going out already. I know my trans needs some for dyno time but i can't see that being the cause of the noise. You having any of these similar issues?