Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Torque Converter Lockup - Educate me please

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another reason that I'm interested in TC lockup is because I have a 40k trucool on a stock setup and my trans temps are always really low, in my opinion. I want to double check that my TC is locking at the low temps that I'm running. I understand this is based on the tune and no, I don't know what my BB tune has for a min temp TC lockup.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 01-18-2013, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Even with lower temps you will still see lockup. I have a large cooler on my truck and on cold days I almost never come above 100* for trans temp and have had no issues so far.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slammed96
Even with lower temps you will still see lockup. I have a large cooler on my truck and on cold days I almost never come above 100* for trans temp and have had no issues so far.
Good info, thanks.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:46 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a good friend who lives in a cold climate (north dakota)He has a 40K cooler on his truck and has it plumbed so he can route it through the radiator first or just the cooler and back to the trans with the turn of a ball valve he mounted behind his front bumper. Super handy IMO for times when it never gets out the single digits for days on end.

Don't know if your temp extremes are ever this drastic but just an example. I like my trans fluid to be between 120-140 degrees. You can try zip tying a piece of cardboard across half the cooler if you don't think it's getting warm enough also. Just a crude way to block some airflow.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
I have a good friend who lives in a cold climate (north dakota)He has a 40K cooler on his truck and has it plumbed so he can route it through the radiator first or just the cooler and back to the trans with the turn of a ball valve he mounted behind his front bumper. Super handy IMO for times when it never gets out the single digits for days on end.

Don't know if your temp extremes are ever this drastic but just an example. I like my trans fluid to be between 120-140 degrees. You can try zip tying a piece of cardboard across half the cooler if you don't think it's getting warm enough also. Just a crude way to block some airflow.
No, it doesn't get that cold here. It gets damn cold, for extended periods, but not ND cold. I actually did use a piece of cardboard when I drove the truck to Colorado in late December, it helped a lot to bring the temp up a bit. I was cruising at 137* most of the time, which I was pleased with. I have since took the cardboard off, after if got a wet a few times, and I run high 90s to right at 100* when driving around town, which is pretty much all I do.

EDIT: And I did route thru the radiator first, as it was done this way in stock form and I simply replaced the cooler without moding any of the piping. So that does help me get up to temp.

Last edited by KC_kid; 01-19-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
While in the main screen hit the menu button on your phone.
Select
Settings>
Manage extra PIDs/Sensors>
I got the PID added to the list and made a digital gauge for it, but it's not responding. When I hit the "test" button, it says No Response. I'll see if I can get it working with some playing around with it.