Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Torque converter Poll:

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 10:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slowprocess
You forgot somebody.
Dammit. I knew there was somebody else.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the best kind of converter from TCI it is what you call free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trucksleeper
I got the best kind of converter from TCI it is what you call free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So you like it?
Old 01-06-2005, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

Do I hell yeah it was free and customer satisfaction is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it locks up tighter 15 year old girl of course that ain't saying much now days
Old 01-07-2005, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

why can you not tow with them has any body tried to tow with them or no
Old 01-07-2005, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well the way that I understand them is that they raise the stall speed to a point where our cars makes the most power. Typically the higher the rpm's the more power is made. So if you have a torque converter that stalls at 3000 rpm (where more power is made) you are able to apply more actual HORSEPOWER to the wheels. But the catch is that the torque is effected and lowers your ability to tow. Typically (and always as far as I know) your torque peaks are at a lower RPM's (kind of sorta, HP and TORQUE go hand in hand).

I am sure that someone knows better and will chime in and help. At least thats kind of how I understand. Thats what I was trying to find about the Yank it was so good that somehow it has a 3000 stall and you are still able to tow without worry.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

No towing because the performance TC's are pretty loose and will start to smoke things.

I've owned Yank, PI's, and TCI.
New Yank's are expensive. As far as customer support - Mike has always answered all my questions and is smart when it comes to the chevy electronic tranny's. Yank was the first to start putting out really strong high HP application TC's.

PI makes a good TC. Not quite as efficient as a Yank(probably no-one is) but more affordable. I had a Lucky#7 - absolutely the best street/strip TC I've owned. Loved it.

TCI is affordable and has been making TC's for like 50 years. They have been around the block and make a good product. I'm currently running a street fighter in my TA. Bought new for under $500 from TSP. I'm waiting for the tracks to open so I can accurately compare it to the others. SOP feels good but that can be very misleading.

I allowed myself $500 to spend on a 3,000-3,500 stall TC. I could have bought a moderately used (or found a really good deal) Yank - or an almost new PI - or a brand new TCI >>>> I bought the new TCI.

Which do I like best is dependant on too many factors. Price - TCI, Efficiency - Yank, If I found a used PI for $350 would I run it - you betcha!!

Good Luck, can't go wrong with these choices. FYI, the Tahoe is getting a custom built.
ERIC
Old 01-07-2005, 11:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YANK's converters has spent many $ to come out with a line of converters that are designed for trucks and suv's the WAY that trucks are designed to be driven!
You wont get a CAR converter sent to you just because it just happens to fit your truck as other company's do.
All our truck converter parts have extra stiffners and special clutches for that reason!
When you call us the person who answers the phone will be involved in you converter build, and most likley BUILD it for you!
We do not have sales people on commission that will tell you anything!, to make a sale.
That's why it is hard to get ahold of us sometimes, as we are building your converters not just waiting for the phone to RING!
Check out our NEW LOWER pricing, because your new shop extra volume let's us pass on the savings to you!
Check out our new converter online selector just for trucks
Thank's
MIKE www.converter.cc