Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

torque steer!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:53 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default torque steer!!!!

my turbo is install in the hoe. but now i have horrible torque steer. how can i get rid of it? do all the awd truck have this problem or is it just ones with certain t-case?
Old 03-08-2008, 09:13 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's due to the 3WD- power to 1 only front wheel. Mine is the same in 4WD or Auto 4WD. Wants to jump all over the road.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4.8T
my turbo is install in the hoe. but now i have horrible torque steer. how can i get rid of it? do all the awd truck have this problem or is it just ones with certain t-case?
all of them if u stomp my truck in 4wd the tires point in toward each other and its real scary feeling
Old 03-08-2008, 10:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you had torsion bars u could crank em down and hope that helps with ur launch. At the WC truck meet a couple guys were talking about A-arms being made that are to reduce this. Talk to thunder550 and see what he's got in the suggestion area.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

With mine in 4WD I get zero torque steer????? I have no idea why not but I can see AWD giving you problems because it has to start to spin a rear wheel before the front kicks in. I think with the Crew Cab layout, the G80 and the 4L80E in 4WD I get very little tire spin even launching at 7 psi and 3000rpm.

The better you can get the rear to hook the less torque will be transferred to the front and the less torque steer you will experience. If you have a 4WD setting try that and it should reduce the torque steer as well.

My truck is lowered on keys in the front and that may have some influence on reducing torque steer as well.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:04 PM
12 Second Truck Club

the rear never looses traction. in the rain and snow is the only time i can even get the rear end to come out from under me. this t-case has a 40/60 spilt and its an open diff. so which ever looses traction (front or rear) gets the most power. thats why everytime i launch the front tires bark.

i've been trying to find pics of what people have for suspension limiters. i thought about those helper bags that go inside my stock coils. then i could stiffen the rear as i please.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Odd that you have torque steer. I have turned off all TM and I can spin all four tires at launch and again at the 1-2 shift and I don't have any torque steer. Do you have a full-time AWD system or is it switchable? I wonder if there is a problem with the front diff not applying power to both shafts. I know they don't have LSD's or anything but power should be fairly evenly distributed with both tires on similar friction surfaces.
Oh, I have lowered my truck 2". Not sure if that matters.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DrX
That's due to the 3WD- power to 1 only front wheel. Mine is the same in 4WD or Auto 4WD. Wants to jump all over the road.
I did have this same problem with my old transfer case in the Auto position but not 4WD.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

white1's truck does it horribly, but his truck is a lever activated 4wd, so it's straight 50/50 when in 4wd... quite scary is an understatement
Old 03-08-2008, 11:06 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Wide Open
Odd that you have torque steer. I have turned off all TM and I can spin all four tires at launch and again at the 1-2 shift and I don't have any torque steer. Do you have a full-time AWD system or is it switchable? I wonder if there is a problem with the front diff not applying power to both shafts. I know they don't have LSD's or anything but power should be fairly evenly distributed with both tires on similar friction surfaces.
Oh, I have lowered my truck 2". Not sure if that matters.

TM is all gone for the most part. but i have stabilitrac also. so i think when its applying breaks it doesn't help any. i forget to turn it off. but even if you push the button it still has control over the breaks. its full time AWD no 2wd about it like the denali's. both tires bark but not at the same time. i think i may put the rake back in it. when i bought it, it sat pretty level.

Quick Reply: torque steer!!!!