Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

towing

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
All he has to do to compensate for the hard shift for 3-4 shift would be when the shift kit is installed just get them to do the street setting instead of high stall or race setting.

The idea of a improved servo is not to make the band hit harder the idea is to hold the band tight enough to not allow it to slip on the drum,the vette servo does that.The band slapping the drum to hard will break ****.It does take a shift kit and PCM to to jack the pressures that high.Some high HP builders use the billets some dont.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:31 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well Ill tell you this much I ran an od servo in my truck for over 20,000 miles of towing offroading full throttle 3-4 shifts and the 3rd and 4th gear clutch packs is what took a hike when my tranny failed. I have had my new tranny for 6,000 miles and not a problem. There are too many people running the billet od servo to say that the od servo is bad. Yes the idea is to hold the band firmer and thats what a od servo does. Yes it is a little harsher than a oem one but it is made for a purpose to make the tranny work better. If it were me I would do it all over again I beleive it makes the tranny stronger and the man that built it believes it too. He has been building transmissions for 30 years and performance ones for about 20 so if he puts it in his trannies then I am going to go with it. I think he has a little more knowledge and expertise than any of us. In the end you can do what you want but as long as there is a part that will make the tranny stronger and is working for me and many many others I will continue to recommend it. Im sure you remember Hitman X he was a tranny guru on this site and he has done countless researches on how to beef up an already weak link and he even recommended it too. Im not saying these two men are god and they are final say but look at how many people it is working for and tell me its not worth it. Idont know how many miles aggie has on his truck but ANY 4l60e's days are numbered behind any kind of extreme conditions(i.e. towing offroad high hp) you can only put bandaids on it to try and lengthen its life. If the drum is not already damaged then it is my beleif that the 60e will benefit from the addition of an od servo. You will burn up the band alot quicker qithout proper line pressure on it. Just my .02. Not tryin to bust your ***** gonzo I have just done way to much research in my conquest to build a strong 60e and everything that I have read/ seen has led me to believe it is a worthwhile investment.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:31 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont have the ***** to to my 4l60 in OD, ive seen too many slip because of it. good thing its sold.
4L80 here we come.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Well Ill tell you this much I ran an od servo in my truck for over 20,000 miles of towing offroading full throttle 3-4 shifts and the 3rd and 4th gear clutch packs is what took a hike when my tranny failed. I have had my new tranny for 6,000 miles and not a problem. There are too many people running the billet od servo to say that the od servo is bad. Yes the idea is to hold the band firmer and thats what a od servo does. Yes it is a little harsher than a oem one but it is made for a purpose to make the tranny work better. If it were me I would do it all over again I beleive it makes the tranny stronger and the man that built it believes it too. He has been building transmissions for 30 years and performance ones for about 20 so if he puts it in his trannies then I am going to go with it. I think he has a little more knowledge and expertise than any of us. In the end you can do what you want but as long as there is a part that will make the tranny stronger and is working for me and many many others I will continue to recommend it. Im sure you remember Hitman X he was a tranny guru on this site and he has done countless researches on how to beef up an already weak link and he even recommended it too. Im not saying these two men are god and they are final say but look at how many people it is working for and tell me its not worth it. Idont know how many miles aggie has on his truck but ANY 4l60e's days are numbered behind any kind of extreme conditions(i.e. towing offroad high hp) you can only put bandaids on it to try and lengthen its life. If the drum is not already damaged then it is my beleif that the 60e will benefit from the addition of an od servo. You will burn up the band alot quicker qithout proper line pressure on it. Just my .02. Not tryin to bust your ***** gonzo I have just done way to much research in my conquest to build a strong 60e and everything that I have read/ seen has led me to believe it is a worthwhile investment.

I was NOT talking about the 4th(OD) billet servo, I was talking about 2nd servo.How fast were you going when you did the 3-4 shift @ WOT?
Old 06-22-2005, 11:43 AM

I believe it is a little over 120 my escalade cluster maxs out then it shifts with 32" tires and 3.73's so whatever that equals in the ratio calculator. Oh and I meant 2nd gear too there isnt a 4th gear band its a clutch pack I must have been spacing out while I was typing or something. BTW I would get a vette servo not the billet servo not worth the money IMO and they do basically the same job.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Veteran

I believe it is a little over 120 my escalade cluster maxs out then it shifts with 32" tires and 3.73's so whatever that equals in the ratio calculator. Oh and I meant 2nd gear too there isnt a 4th gear band its a clutch pack I must have been spacing out while I was typing or something. BTW I would get a vette servo not the billet servo not worth the money IMO and they do basically the same job.

You do have a 3-4 clutch pack that comes on,and the band come on in 4th,I thought about the 4th billet but dont need it for towing because mine loaded to the max will shift out of 4th into 3rd with any kind of load.WOT 3-4 shift ,Ya I can then see the need.Its friggin scarry at thoses speeds,some one can do the calculations but seems you would have to be going faster that 120MPH with 32's and 3.73s. What RPM ? 5800?

Yes only 1 band,its called the 2-4 band because that's when its applied.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:00 PM

5900 out of 3rd
Old 06-22-2005, 12:01 PM

Yeah and it does get pretty scary at those speeds especially in a 4wd I have only done it a couple of occasions