Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Towing in OD

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing in OD

I have a93' silverado with a 350/th700r4 that are both factory and have been told that I cannot tow in OD or with the 2500 stall converter that I have. I would like to know why I can't tow with a stall and in OD on my th700r4. It's got 110,879 miles and has been serviced every 30000miles. Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Veteran

I think its mainly because the 4th gear clutches are weak in the 700R4 and the 60e.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Teching In

Is there any modifications besides puttin my factory converter (in middle of doign now) back in that i can do to let me use the OD while towing? Could maybe a trans cooler and or shift kit help out?
Old 09-08-2005, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

How much are towing?
Old 09-08-2005, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Default re: towing in od

Hi guys, I have been a transmission rebuilder for 31 years and specialize in HD / towing / Hi- Perf-- the transgo shift kit eliminates the PWM control system for the torque converter pressure regulstion-(which is regulated separately from mainline pressure) - the kit gives almost full REGULATED line pressure to the conv clutch. It is not an objectionable shift (lockup is really a shift technically) you can make it more firm or soft as you can with each individual shift by orificing or accumulator changes- --- I'll rattle here for a sec. - accumulators require a lot of thinking to grasp what they really do, and if anybody wants- I will take an hour or so on a night and explain so you can "see it" in your mind- all trans systems can be understood that way but they have really been quite "secretive" not taught to everyone that learns to build trans's. You would be floored if you knew how many trans builders know very little about how transmissions really work.--- ok now- someone out there was wondering about the 4th clutches in 700's and 4L60E's- there is a 2-4 band-(on in 2nd and 4th) and a 3-4 clutch pack (on in 3rd and 4th) lockup still occurs in 3rd so why the worry about converter clutch in 4th? the only thing here is that when you are in od- you are gaining a mechanical advantage- (ratio) so you will create more heat- all trans"s need aux coolers- I'm sorry but a box soldered to the side or bottom of a radiator that is supposed to have 200 degree coolant flowing does'nt qualify as a cooler to me- well maybe as an engine coolant cooler it might sometimes but it's a trans heater in my opinion. and don't forget about the fittings- look into them and make sure the holes that go throgh them don't neck down to 3/16 or 1/4"what good are 3/8 or 5/16 lines with the restriction built into the fitting? well gotta go to bed- I'll be around- ask me whatever you want. This is kinda fun.--- Craig
Old 09-09-2005, 04:47 PM
Teching In

So does this mean if i get an aux cooler and put in my stock converter (done) i can tow a 4000lb cobia boat in OD? Or even my popup camer, which is like 2500lb? I need to be able to use my OD it sucks not having it for hi speed interstate towing.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trans cooler...
Shift kit...
Old 09-09-2005, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Naked AV
Trans cooler...
Shift kit...
Would these allow me to tow in OD on my 700r4? Is there anything I can do to let me tow in OD on my 700r4?
Old 09-09-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

I know several people with 3000 stalls and there trucks are not equipt with hitches or bumpers. I recommend the largest liquid to air tranny cooler and a transgo shift for any type of vehicle being car or truck because both reduce heat and heat is the number 1 cause of tranny failure. This would be the main reason why you can't tow with a stall. You should be able to get by with the factory TC and pulling the popup and maybe the boat. I have a 99 2500 with 260,000 miles and no have problems pulling a 14 foot enclosed trailer in OD, weighting almost 5,000 lbs. I move the shifter into 3 when I approach a hill or steep incline.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:50 AM
Teching In

Default re: towing in od.

lots of people seem to be worrying about the stall speed when towing in lockup mode. well - it's locked up- stall speed is zero when locked up- does'nt matter what it is. 4th is a little more tricky. The lower (higher the number like 4.10) the less strain on the trans- the higher- the more strain. also- 700's are hydraulically boosted- drop the pan- install a .500" mainline booster and a transgo or fairbanks/ sonnax 4th apply servo piston- while out a 7 lb. pressure reg spring will help also. should do fine with cooler- (4th generates some heat and band is holding eng torque). Please downshift to 3rd on hill as that applies input overrun clutch and shares strain on input sprag- 700 is nice unit- I have been building these units in custom applications for at least 20 years now. wow I can't believe they have been around for 24 years! -Craig

Last edited by Craig Burnett; 09-10-2005 at 08:52 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Towing in OD