Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

TQ Converter Bolt ?s

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TQ Converter Bolt ?s

Got most of the tranny ready to remove today, now I only have the converter bolts to get out. I got one out just fine, went to another and couldn't get it out, then went to another and it felt like it was gonna strip so I left it alone. Do these bolts strip out very often? Also, if it does strip out, how will I be able to remove it? These things were on TIGHT and are a little hard to remove because of the head on them. Anyone know if you can replace them with regular head converter bolts? Anything else I can do to loosen them up so I don't strip the bolts? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-06-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

These are a major PITA, I think there's some locktite on them from the factory. Couple that with the damn recessed allen head design, and it's a common problem. I stripped out 2 of mine, one came out by using a torx head socket. The other one, I spent hours grinding with a dremel. I made a post about this during my converter swap, so there may be some more info in that thread. I'll try to dig it up.

Oh, make sure you have the right size allen head, I think I was using a standard vs. metric.

Thank you Yank for providing Hex-head replacement bolts!
Old 06-06-2005, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, they are a major PITA! I think I am going to strip one or maybe both of the 2 that are in, so if you figure out how else to get them out it will be a big help. Also do you know where I can get new ones? I tried Auto Zone and O'Reilly and came up with nothing.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nightmarechevy
Yes, they are a major PITA! I think I am going to strip one or maybe both of the 2 that are in, so if you figure out how else to get them out it will be a big help. Also do you know where I can get new ones? I tried Auto Zone and O'Reilly and came up with nothing.
Well, I used a torx after stripping one of mine out, but that's not exactly proper.

ARP maybe? I think replacement grade specs have been posted before. Let me search...
Old 06-06-2005, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

A post on the same topic I dug up real quick:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=Dremel
Old 06-06-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info OBX, you are a lifesaver! I guess I'll see if I can get them out without stripping them and if not I will try to order some new ones. I hope they come out, I really don't want to wait for shipping.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:50 PM
13 Second Truck Club

I just went to the dealer to get my replacements. We used a torx to get them out too. The replacements from the dealer ARE HEX HEAD 15MM WITH ALLEN IN THE MIDDLE. I guess they realized their stupidity and changed them. This was about 2-3 years ago when I blew my trans on my '99. I was sure glad they had them too because this was on a Saturday. Hope this helps ya...Zed
Old 06-06-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nightmarechevy
Thanks for the info OBX, you are a lifesaver! I guess I'll see if I can get them out without stripping them and if not I will try to order some new ones. I hope they come out, I really don't want to wait for shipping.
Best of luck, but I would not put them back in. I know the details of the replacements are here somewhere, but my search skills aren't the greatest atm.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

YES! There is a Chevy dealer here in this tiny town so I may be able to find them! Thanks for the info guys and I'm gonna see if I can get the "updated" bolts to put back in and not mess with these crappy things. You guys have been a BIG help!
Old 06-07-2005, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

If you strip them out, Irwin makes a socket set to remove rounded off bolts. I stripped out one of mine, and this kit got them right out. They sell it at home depot and lowes.

Quick Reply: TQ Converter Bolt ?s