Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

traction bars compared...READ

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 12:52 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts
Default traction bars compared...READ

its another forum but its the best reading ive done in a while. youll probably have to register but its quick and easy. good info in all 9 pages.

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/gen-2-li...tion-bars.html
Old 01-24-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good find stew, only got to read 3pages though, I finish up when I get back..
Old 01-24-2008, 01:09 PM

i thought this was especially interesting for those wanting longbars

Old 01-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Banned

That was some pretty crappy reading. None of those jerks have much a clue how that stuff works. Those diagrams are garbage.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by domination
That was some pretty crappy reading. None of those jerks have much a clue how that stuff works. Those diagrams are garbage.
care to explain your knowledge about it?
Old 01-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Banned

Based on that diagram your truck is not moving forward. Its as though the force your housing is seeing in a rotational manner is being generated improperly. The long bar diagram is incomplete. If you look just by the diagram for the long bars, the axle will not push the bar forward. It would flop over backwards. You need to consider at least the front eye of the leaf spring. Leverage pretty much needs to be triangulated to apply force and keep the axle under your truck.

Your axle undoubtedly receives the rotational torque described in the pictures, but there is now consideration that the truck is being pushed forward from the front mount points. They don't just lift.

To say that long bars generate no lifting force is asinine. Just like saying ladder bar create only a force in a 85 degree angle upwards. That graphic is beat!
Old 01-24-2008, 02:54 PM

may need to read it again...they covered everything you just said in pretty good detail except for the forward motion where you lost me??? they didnt say that longbars dont work. the fastest lightnings out there run long bars.

everything ive seen says the axile would push that bar forward when the pinion angle lifts. its what the caltrack design is based on. even after the truck is moving forward those back tires are trying to drive through the truck (lifting the pinion angle, thus pushing the bars forward) maybe i read your message incorrectly?

Last edited by TXsilverado; 01-24-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was a good read, if you can get by all the disputes they have and who is rite over what... if ya cut that out then it is only about 6 pages of reading.. LOL I have also read that a longer bar isn't always better, it comes down to the setup and size of the complete chassis. There is also a diagram of that floating around..

John

Last edited by Mangled03gmc; 01-24-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:26 PM

yeah i was guna make some long bars but since im in an ecsb i think caltracks will work best. i just dont feel like adjusting them looking for the sweet spot. if i were in a scsb i would fab up some long bars.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Banned

Perhaps I did jump the gun a bit. I couldn't read the whole thing. I didn't have the time and it was pissing me off with all the arguments.

I think we're on the same page about the rear axle trying to drive threw the truck, as well as rotating itself. Which ever force is greater will happen. If its just leaf springs they are strong enough to enable the rear axle to push the truck forward, but not quite strong enough to eliminate any axle rotation. When you add a lower link, both forces are going to be applied. You will get some lift from a long bar. Maybe later tonight if I get some time I'll read their whole thread.

Quick Reply: traction bars compared...READ