Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

traction at the strip? who has it and how

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 01:09 AM
Truck addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traction at the strip? who has it and how

most of us get on here and want to go fast and thats great. we have all kinds of parts for that and multiple routes to take to get fast. now, what about traction. thats easy, slap a set of drag radials or slicks on that truck and be done with it. well for some of us, that isn't the end of the road.

i know several folks that make decent power and are spinning all over the track. ranwalk, slowprocess, myself, and i think bigkid was having some traction issues. are we the only ones that run et streets or nitto dr's that have this problem? i think not.

our good pals in the suspension business hasn't left us with much to go with.

so here is what my plan is and this is where i need help. i am ditching the like new 26x10.5x16 et streets for something a little taller and a little wider.

i plan on going with a 15x10 inch wheel (i know i have to grind the calipers).

what what is the widest slick i can fit on that wheel that will work with our truck without having to cut roll tuck, slice and dice the fenders.

i was looking at a set of mt et streets that are 29.5-10.5-15. it's late, i have been wrapping xmas gifts all night and my brain aint working too good. is that the same size as the 16 inch tire except taller. if so i want something wide. the widest i can fit. i want to plant that *** end like it's supposed to be.

so lets see what the collective mass knows.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:50 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

wider, stickier tires are always a big help. but if you are making any kind of respectable power, you are going to need some type of system to help out on axle wrap, wheel hop, This is always an issue even with lower powered trucks just because the nature of the factory rear suspension. it is built with more utility in mind than a good launch on the track. your tires may not be the problem... I hear of plenty of guys getting pretty goo launches and 60' times on daily driven street tires. You just have to have the right suspension setup in the rear for what you want.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:03 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You also need to remember too large of aa slick can bog oyu off the line. I owuld get a set of cal tracs to if it were me. I am in the same boat as you too even with 4wd I was spinning all four out of the hole on the street and was chirping them off the line at the strip. With the new setup Im sure Ill be spinning them at the track. With a 10" wode wheel you can run a slick up to 13" wide IMO.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The problem is easily fixed. Ditch the front sway bar, get some Cal-tracs, Comp. Eng. front drag shocks, use wore out rear shocks, and pull the bottom leaf spring out of the spring pack. On 28x11.5x16 ET Streets my truck went 1.48 60' on the exact same set up with 500rwhp on motor.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Cal-tracs
Old 12-15-2005, 08:58 AM
Truck addict

i think i am going to try a few things that curt suggested. and i suppose i can start looking for a set of cal-tracs.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:12 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

96' S-10 lowered 5-6
355 little bit of n20 on a progressive controller.
th350, 3.73 gear
235/60R15 MT Et Street drag Radials
Cal-Tracs and Belltech shocks
3rd shock mounted transversely.

1.51 60ft
10.64@126
With 18psi in the tires.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goshawk23
i think i am going to try a few things that curt suggested. and i suppose i can start looking for a set of cal-tracs.
John, I pulled off my sway bar per Curts suggestion,(Actually, he yelled at me and made me take it off) my truck still drives the same. No noticable bad body roll, I have chosen to just leave it off for good. However, I most likely would not do it on a stock height truck. I also think maybe the Caltracs are helping to eliminate exccess body roll, but i'm no sure on that. The truck did leave alot better with no sway bar, the front end actually came up some.
Now I just need some et streets and I think I will see the kind of 60ft times I will be happy with.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sleek silverado
Cal-tracs
I've gone 1.37 in the 60' with a set of caltracs stocksprings no overload leaf on M/T Street Radials. I'm stil playing with them it still has more left.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:02 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Exactly Mark knows lol.

You this is TJ right Mark???

Cool pic BTW, and congrates on that 9. Must feel damn good.

Quick Reply: traction at the strip? who has it and how