Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Traction Traction!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 06:33 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

nevermind, it's the fronts
Old 12-27-2004, 06:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, if the front is to the right ----->

WTF: moregrip, where did your post go?
Old 12-27-2004, 09:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
What ride quality? He has a 4/6 drop! J/K!

Axle wrap is caused by the pinion gear trying to climb the ring gear. This in effect bends the leaf springs into an "S" shape. The front part of the spring bows upward, and the rear part bows down. What I don't understand is how clamping the front part helps eliminate this. The spring pack is already forced together at that point due to the torque being applied. Maybe I'm thinking about this all wrong. Either way, those clamps will work well in shortening your springs life.

spring clamps are nothing new....... drag racers have been doing it for several years it's a good cheap mod that helps with the wheel hop and traction i put them on my truck over a year ago with no problems at all.....they will actually help save your drivetrane from hard launches .....wheel hop can brakes alot of parts .....if you have wheel hop the clamps will stop it and save your drivetrane....... very cheap insurance ....if i ran my mickey thompson et street tires (without) the clamps i would not be able to get 1.7 60ft times.....
Old 12-27-2004, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

What ride quality? He has a 4/6 drop! J/K!

Axle wrap is caused by the pinion gear trying to climb the ring gear. This in effect bends the leaf springs into an "S" shape. The front part of the spring bows upward, and the rear part bows down. What I don't understand is how clamping the front part helps eliminate this. The spring pack is already forced together at that point due to the torque being applied. Maybe I'm thinking about this all wrong. Either way, those clamps will work well in shortening your springs life.
How would it shorten the life of the springs??? Please explain. I would assume since one leaf spring applies a certain amount of tension another would be better. By adding great tension to the spring you are increasing the strength withing that area.

I also think Grip is right. He has a HD2500 I am sure those things come with a either more springs or greater strength within those springs. So I would think he is not prone to this.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:35 PM
Launching!

heres a link from this site about spring clamps......talk to some of the guys here that have tryed the clamps and they will tell you that clamps work.....do some research on the clamps

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=249201&page=3
Old 12-27-2004, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was bored and this is what I came up with. the quality kind of sucks. Maybe if I get even more bored I will try and prove it mathamatically!!! Damn I am bored
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
springclamps22.pdf (44.9 KB, 198 views)
Old 12-27-2004, 09:43 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes, if the front is to the right ----->

WTF: moregrip, where did your post go?
yeah you caught me

here it is
Old 12-27-2004, 09:59 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this section has only been here a few days and i all ready learned something. i am going to try this tomorrow.

i dont get bad wheel hop, just a slight amount. i think a smooth launch is going to keep my parts much happier.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
I have heard the Kumhos are good tires....Nice to see someone has them!
Another plug for the Kumhos.

Do any of you guys drop your front sway bar at the track? I do, and it seems to help with weight transfer. I don't know how it would act with a drop though.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Seeing Red Again
Another plug for the Kumhos.

Do any of you guys drop your front sway bar at the track? I do, and it seems to help with weight transfer. I don't know how it would act with a drop though.
The front or the rear? I have never droped the front, its is a pain in the *** to get on with the drop.

Quick Reply: Traction Traction!!!