Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Traction Traction!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 11:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oooooohhhhh. Thanks for the pics destrucktive! I wasn't aware of there being a gap between the top two and the bottom leaf. I see how closing the gap and essentially combining the springs will "strengthen" them.

Oh geez, the ideas are pooring in. Project time! Lets see if I can get my GTII's to hook. J/K

I've never run into this, but the previous owner of my Camaro had some funky clamps on there, and when I pulled them off, one of the springs collapsed. This is why I think it might shorten the life. Although springs are supposed to be designed for 10^8 cycles, or an infinite life. Now I run split-monos on my car, so I don't need these, but nevertheless you learn something new everyday!
Old 12-28-2004, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

One of the main problems on your traction issues with a 4/6 drop could be the loss of weight transfer.

The spring clamps will help in your case.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

I have been chasing traction on my 4/6 drop for a long time. I started with some pois and traction got way better but the the wheel hop issues came up. I went with the spring clamps right away. Worked great. If you clamp up the overload spring like I did the ride diffently gets stiffer which I like. But after putting the radix on the wheel hop was back. I have now put a 3/8 thick by 2 1/2 wide flat bar on the top of the front half of the spring. And for the most part wheel hop is gone. My camera is dead right now or I would put up some pics. Maybe later tonight. I think these a pretty good alterantives to cal tracs for someone on a buget. I still am looking for some traction on the street(without slicks) but finding tires for 20's that hook and fit under the truck is not a easy task. I might be headed for some wheels with back spacing enough to fit some 305 or 315 wide tires. And if the tax man treats me right I might have to try those gold plated traction bars that caliver racing sells for $320
Old 12-28-2004, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I decided to put on the clamps today, what they hell they are only ten bucks. But all that I have to say is damn. That thing luanches strait as an arrow. Took a couple of drives around town and getting on it all the way and no wheel hop whatsoever. As far as traction it might have helped a little bit not to sure yet, but it for sure did not hurt it at all.

Like I said at a strait stop that thing will launches strait as an arrow. You could definitly feel the rear end of the truck not drop its pretty stiff. Thanks H777 for the recomindation and sierra sport for the pics.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:01 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lone Chev
I have been chasing traction on my 4/6 drop for a long time. I started with some pois and traction got way better but the the wheel hop issues came up. I went with the spring clamps right away. Worked great. If you clamp up the overload spring like I did the ride diffently gets stiffer which I like. But after putting the radix on the wheel hop was back. I have now put a 3/8 thick by 2 1/2 wide flat bar on the top of the front half of the spring. And for the most part wheel hop is gone. My camera is dead right now or I would put up some pics. Maybe later tonight. I think these a pretty good alterantives to cal tracs for someone on a buget. I still am looking for some traction on the street(without slicks) but finding tires for 20's that hook and fit under the truck is not a easy task. I might be headed for some wheels with back spacing enough to fit some 305 or 315 wide tires. And if the tax man treats me right I might have to try those gold plated traction bars that caliver racing sells for $320
You and I sound like a broken record.

I'm planning on doing a 305/315 section width tire on the rear as well. Be sure to post up if you get 'em done...I wanna know how to make 'em fit as well.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Launching!

Im Glad I could help ...

I have 295/40/20 on the back of my truck and they are pretty tight when it comes to fitting ..
Old 01-08-2005, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SierraSport
Im Glad I could help ...

I have 295/40/20 on the back of my truck and they are pretty tight when it comes to fitting ..
What backspacing do you have on the rear? And are the tires close on the fender or the wheel well.We have almost the same truck down to the wheels

Great minds think alike!!!
Old 01-08-2005, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have 2 sets of the spring clamps on mine. It really helped me out, when I nail the gas it just launches off. I did have a problem with wheel hop before but its gone now. I actually think it improved the ride on mine, I didn't have to slow down as much in all of the usual rough spots and over railroad tracks after installing them.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Lone Chev
What backspacing do you have on the rear? And are the tires close on the fender or the wheel well.We have almost the same truck down to the wheels

Great minds think alike!!!

The Back spacing is 5.5 , it is the same either way .. If I hit a hard bump it rubs the outer wheel well , but i beat my inner wheel well bigger to make it not rub at all on the inside in hard turns ..

Nice Truck ..