Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Tranmission experts - 03 Silverado SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranmission experts - 03 Silverado SS

In the last two weeks I had a zippy shift kit and TBTC installed. When I picked it up, it didn't feel quite right, but I figured it was just because of the mods. I couldn't point to anything I knew was wrong. Tranny temps went from 150ish to 200 immediately. Then I installed a radix. After installing the radix and driving it for less than 30 miles or so, the tranny began slipping. I probably shouldn't have done all the mods at once, but live and learn. The tranny is now slipping in drive. It seems to be OK when I shift manually through 1, 2 and 3.

It is going back to the shop on Monday (being towed in). My questions is, could the problem be a misinstalled shift kit, or does it sound like a different unrelated problem? I checked the fluid and it was down one quart. I was told that if it was the shift kit, it would not have shifted immediately. Also, after the install, I was expecting much harder shifts, but that was not the case at all. That said, I also installed the original pcm, so I thought the softer shifts were due to the TM. Any thoughts so that I can speak intelligently with the installer (they are a high performance shop - not a transmission shop). Frankly, they seem honest and have been helpful in the past, so its not that I don't trust them. I just like to do my own homework. Thoughts.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BTW - Good news is that the raidx seems ok now. It is not pulling hard like I thought it would but I need a better tune. It is definitely running lean after 4000plus rpms, but no more codes popping. Waiting for new tune from Wheatley.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:53 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles are on your trans? I have seen shift kit's installed that have worked just fine when properly installed. I guess a couple of things could have happened. The part that bothers me is that you said it seemed to be running a little hotter. Was the lockup working ok in the converter? Then you put the blower on it and now well the trans seems to be hurt. I have heard this story before and it does not really sound good. I guess you will have to see what the shop has to say. I would have them go over what they did with the shift kit and see if they over looked something. Unfortunately your trans might not have been in good shape to begin with and the added power finished it off. I would have the shop do a road test and probably drop the pan for an inspection. Vince
Old 08-11-2007, 08:19 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Hey man, I'm with Vince -- it doesn't sound good. I'm around the corner now (although still buried in boxes ) but if you want to swing it by tomorrow we can do a few scans and see if the tune has anything to say. Honestly, though, it sounds burnt to me
Old 08-12-2007, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks Guys

I am thinking the shift kit was not installed correctly becuase it was not shifting hard after the install. I was told it may have burnt some clutches because they were notbeing fully released before the shift. It is being towed in to the shop tomorrow and we will see what they have to say.

Erik,

Let me know if you can help me out when you have time (after this transmission issue is resolved). The truck definitely needs some tuning. It is not generating the power it should with a radix now. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:24 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Yup. We'll get it all sorted.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:27 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Hey Brian, The truck hasn't made it up here yet In fact, they haven't picked it up from Orlando... The guarantee is by Wednesday of this week though.