Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Tranmission question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah on a sticker, it should list a bunch of codes for what your truck is equiped with.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Fast lane preferred

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mason110
yeah on a sticker, it should list a bunch of codes for what your truck is equiped with.

what he said, its on the bottom. empty out all the speeding tickets and its under there.

a bunch of mostly 3 digit codes list all the equipment your truck came with form the factory: paint code, gears, tranny, engine, etc.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by meatwad
what he said, its on the bottom. empty out all the speeding tickets and its under there.

a bunch of mostly 3 digit codes list all the equipment your truck came with form the factory: paint code, gears, tranny, engine, etc.
Thanks for the info. Fortunately I haven't had any speeding tickets yet. Not to jinx myself.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

I bought my built tranny from that guy, in Tampa.

First they sent me a 700R4
Then a 4L65E that lasted 1 day
The third one has been in several months and is holding up well. However, I will NOT buy anything else from them. I only paid for 1 tranny but swapping tranny's is not what I do for fun on a Saturday.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the replies guy's! The sticker said it's an M30 so it's a 4L60. Thanks for the info and feedback.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think that the info on the RPO is correct. I always thought that I had the 4l60e and my RPO says M30. I ordered a 60 converter and it wouldn't bolt up so I sent it back as well as the one that came out of the truck and I got them to stall mine. They said that I had a 65. I ordered a black panther tranny and they said the same, that I had a 65. I was told that the 65 had a bolt at the top center of the bellhousing and the 60 doesn't. I ordered the 65 and thats what in there and running.
I was arguing with the dealer as there computer doesn't list a 65. But on the outer casing of the tranny that came out, it says 60 on it...but it isn't?
Old 09-22-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tweeder
I don't think that the info on the RPO is correct. I always thought that I had the 4l60e and my RPO says M30. I ordered a 60 converter and it wouldn't bolt up so I sent it back as well as the one that came out of the truck and I got them to stall mine. They said that I had a 65. I ordered a black panther tranny and they said the same, that I had a 65. I was told that the 65 had a bolt at the top center of the bellhousing and the 60 doesn't. I ordered the 65 and thats what in there and running.
I was arguing with the dealer as there computer doesn't list a 65. But on the outer casing of the tranny that came out, it says 60 on it...but it isn't?
I think they sent you the wrong converter cause i'm gonna have to go with Vince on this one
Old 09-22-2007, 05:05 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

The confusion with these units is that GM started to make another change in 99 with the trucks. If your rpo code says m30 then you have a 60 not a 65. The problem with the 99 trucks is that you could have an lt1 bell or an ls1 bell depending on which motor you had. Any truck later than 2000 has an ls1 style bell. Meaning that you have a bolt hole at the 12 o'clock position basically meaning that you have 300mm bell. Also included with this change with the bell, the input shaft, pump stator and the converter have changed in later vehicles. I kinda get a laugh when I hear that the bolt hole at the 12 o'clock position means it's a 65. That is not true and the companies that sell these units really do not know what they are talking about. Maybe ask them if they know the difference between the 298mm or the 300mm 4l60's and see what they say. I love to listen to that conversation. Vince
Old 09-22-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZZebes
I think they sent you the wrong converter cause i'm gonna have to go with Vince on this one

Well the first one they said was a 60 and that didn't fit at all and the second is supposidly a 65 and all's working. Like I said the guys that I bought a built tranny from said its a 65 and its identical to the one that I took out of the truck.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
The confusion with these units is that GM started to make another change in 99 with the trucks. If your rpo code says m30 then you have a 60 not a 65. The problem with the 99 trucks is that you could have an lt1 bell or an ls1 bell depending on which motor you had. Any truck later than 2000 has an ls1 style bell. Meaning that you have a bolt hole at the 12 o'clock position basically meaning that you have 300mm bell. Also included with this change with the bell, the input shaft, pump stator and the converter have changed in later vehicles. I kinda get a laugh when I hear that the bolt hole at the 12 o'clock position means it's a 65. That is not true and the companies that sell these units really do not know what they are talking about. Maybe ask them if they know the difference between the 298mm or the 300mm 4l60's and see what they say. I love to listen to that conversation. Vince

My truck is a 2000 with a 5.3. Now that i'm really confused, how can I tell what I actually have by looking or measuring.

Last edited by tweeder; 09-22-2007 at 05:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Tranmission question?