Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Tranny #3 KIA

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 09:19 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Tranny #3 KIA

well this past weekend was a crazy one... I left after work @ 4:30 on Friday afternoon from VA headed South on I95. I scooped up Z06 DREAMING in NC on the way to Fort Myers Florida... yeah South Florida.. anyway, we drove there to pick up his new FLT that got kinda re-routed in a shipping problem...

we drove all night friday, and got to Fort Myers at about 11:00am Saturday morning. loaded up the trans, BS'd there for about 30 minutes and got back on the road Notrh... We made back to NC by MIDNIGHT Saturday night... slept some that night and got up Sunday morning to do his swap in the SS... on the way to the shop, we were pulling out of NAPA... I put my truck in Reverse, backed out of the spot, pulled it into drive and let in engage as usual, then rolled onto the throttle and BANG!!!! I didnt know what the Fokk happened!!! I limped it on to the shop and got it parked, I thought I had broken my G80 for sure at first but when it started slipping and jumping in and out of gears going down the road, I knew it wasnt good.... mind you I'm still 200 miles away from home in VA...

well, I worked out a ride back here and made it into work this morning truck-less... I'm pissed...

-the hell of it is that this was SUPPOSED to be a built 4L65E from a guy locally in TX... who shall remain nameless... I paid for all the internals and he didnt charge me jack really for labor so I cant really complain much there. The bottom line is, I dropped over a grand in March on this tranny and it just took a **** on me... less than 10K miles later and only 4 track passes... s

o this weekend we have to finish his swap... (code name: trans swap from hell) and do mine as well as a cam and springs in my truck and a cam, and heads on his... its going to be a busy weekend... no to mention the two trannies...

thoughts? comments? told-ya-so's?? ... LOL...

-a HUGE thanks goes out to Jordan (Z06) and extendocab for bailing my *** out this weekend and getting me back here... we'll have to square up somehow guys....

Last edited by silver-mod-o; 06-26-2006 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks.....wish I was closer to there, I'd help you out
Old 06-26-2006, 10:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this the built tranny you just got 3 or 4 months ago?
Old 06-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Originally Posted by Colby 04
is this the built tranny you just got 3 or 4 months ago?
yesiree it is ... I know my truck isnt putting down that kind of power either... I just edited the post, more added...
Old 06-26-2006, 10:17 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Originally Posted by Yelo
That sucks.....wish I was closer to there, I'd help you out
yeah man, I know there'd be tons of folks willing to help provided we all werent scattered out thousands of miles...

and the thing that gets me is we ran the **** out of that truck for 30+ hours at 100MPH going to FL and back and had not a single glitch out of it... it even got close to 18mpg running that fast.. (gotta love those 3.42's )
Old 06-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

while I'm at it I guess I'll add my tranny history onto this thread... here goes..

Trany #1 blew pump @ 50K miles and fried. I bought the truck 6 weeks prior to this and had it replaced because it was supposed to be a "certified" used truck.... whatever that means...
-stock tranny went back in... the only mods were a drop-in K&N and a 50 series flow muffler.

Tranny #2 busted all kinds of **** @ 85K miles and had it built locally by a guy who builds trannies for sevral race teams at home so I figured his work would be quality ****... think again...
-current "built" 65E went in.. mods are same as right now...

tranny #3 well read the first post...

present mileage is right at 95K.... I want to put a built TH400 in it and forget about having tranny problems again....
Old 06-26-2006, 12:31 PM
11 Second Truck Club

damn ben, you had a hell of a weekend. what's the next tranny going to be?

i got mine built at taylor automotive in va beach a year ago. i have around 12k mi. on it and haven't had any problems out of it except for the piece of junk tci converter lockup clutch going out a 5k mi. also you can ask seth, i beat on that trans all the freaking time. haha
Old 06-26-2006, 12:37 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

This weekend I am going back down to NC to help Jordan finish up his swap and his old 65E is going in my truck for now. It has a HD2 kit, servos, hard plate, accumulator piston, and kevlar bands.... it should hold for a while I guess... His tranny is fine. he just ordered a level 5 FLT because he wanted one... LOL... while we are down there, we're doing his head/cam swap and his 223/225 and springs are going in my motor... it should either wake it up and make it very strong or its just going ot make enough power to kill another tranny... while I was on 95 heading south I honked the horn for ya as we flew through there at about 110.... I even sprayed a little for ya man... LOL...
Old 06-26-2006, 12:49 PM
11 Second Truck Club

haha, yall too damn crazy. i thought he had blew up his **** too. that's cool you putin in his old 65E that thing should hold up fine. for a minut, lol.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man I thought about posting this BS weekend but I got pissed just thinkin about it!

I had thought my trans went out but it had just lost too much fluid to shift right. It made a whole lot of smoke when it blew that cooler line though so I thought it was done... and honestly I don't trust it. There was way too much heat coming off of it for it to be perfect. I'm sure it hold a while for Ben's truck but I garauntee it'll go too.

If this weekend is anything like last I'm getting an F-body and driving my truck into the side of a Home Depot

Quick Reply: Tranny #3 KIA