Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

tranny cooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 10:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=joehawkz71]so what do you think about this one???
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-T...0348QQtcZphotoQUOTE]

This is what I have in my truck. Did not take much work to install, other than drilling a hole to mount (don't drill into A/C condensor) and modifying tranny lines to hook up. Probably took 1 hr tops. I didn't get to fancy with hoses, just clamps and rubber hose that came in kit, no trouble after a few months of install now. Tranny runs way cooler than before, I don't think I need a larger one and tow a fair good load on hot days. Tranny has never been above the middle line, can't remember what temp that is. It even fit in between my condensor and the radix heat exchanger, very nice.
Good luck!
Old 07-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have this one which doesnt have thermal bypass for hotter climates where the trans temp will always get up to operating temp easily
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...roduct_Count=4
Or this one for you guys that live further up north
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...roduct_Count=3
I dont think any of the sponsors sell the tru-cool coolers if so sorry for the NS link.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am planning on adding a cooler to my stock cooler. I was just going to take the line out of the stock cooler and run it into the additional cooler and back to the tranny. Sound right? That way they are in series. Will rubber hoses and clamps be enough to hold the lines, pressure wise? I was going to ziptie the new cooler directly onto the stock one. Not much room left in there after the radix heat exchanger....
Old 07-05-2006, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

i installed the big coole ra few weeks ago, it was pretty easy, i made a new bracket out of aluminum bracing which was pretty easy!! here are some shot of my setup

Old 07-05-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=2004SSS]i installed the big coole ra few weeks ago, it was pretty easy, i made a new bracket out of aluminum bracing which was pretty easy!! here are some shot of my setup
QUOTE]

looks really clean....what cooler is that? i like the SS you painted on!
Old 07-05-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
I am planning on adding a cooler to my stock cooler. I was just going to take the line out of the stock cooler and run it into the additional cooler and back to the tranny. Sound right? That way they are in series. Will rubber hoses and clamps be enough to hold the lines, pressure wise? I was going to ziptie the new cooler directly onto the stock one. Not much room left in there after the radix heat exchanger....
Make sure you get "transmission oil cooler" hose....
Old 07-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Sexy Party Mod

Originally Posted by Colby 04
Make sure you get "transmission oil cooler" hose....
Its cheap and isnt worth the hassel of a different hose. I like my tru cool max. I have the one that Cody (1slow01Z71) stated and i have started to beat on my tranny just this past week. I have yet to see a tranny temp go up to 180* in 90* weather.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Junkie

[QUOTE=joehawkz71]
Originally Posted by 2004SSS
i installed the big coole ra few weeks ago, it was pretty easy, i made a new bracket out of aluminum bracing which was pretty easy!! here are some shot of my setup
QUOTE]

looks really clean....what cooler is that? i like the SS you painted on!
Yea i like it as well.I have a cooler but it's a 24,000 unit and i woudn't mind upgradeing it to a bigger cooler just to be certain for good.
I also like that yours is black.Looks good.Now where can i get it lol.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:38 AM
TECH Addict

its the biggest tru cool tranny cooler youll find on ebay, its the the tru cool 4739 for 40000 gvw. i have beaten on the trann y a bit and havent seen it go above 170 yet!!( in 100+ degree heat too)
Old 07-09-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
i would not run it with your stock cooler! you will have to much pressure drop.

Quick Reply: tranny cooler