Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Tranny drain bolt frozen in place

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Tranny drain bolt frozen in place

I can't seem the get the damn transmission drain bolt out. I rounded off the head trying, then tried one of those easy out sockets. Then tried vice grips. Also heated it up and nothing has worked. I'm going to be taking the pan off anyways to change the filter, but how can I get the bolt out once I get the pan off? What size thread is it?
Old 04-10-2010, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

may have to drill in out after you take the pan down, might need a new pan and drain bolt also.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:48 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Knipex makes a VERY good pliers for this job.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Do tell...
Old 04-10-2010, 05:00 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

http://www.crawfordtool.com/knipex_alligator.html

Take a look at these. They are better than anything else I've used. The leverage & bite that these things give is incredible. The harder you push/pull on the handle, the tighter they clamp. They almost work like a pipe wrench, but way better. Also, don't try another brand of the same looking pliers, they don't use the same steel, & the teeth don't bite in as well.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Has ANYONE ever gotten the transmission bolt out? I sure haven't. And I've read several threads of people asking how to do so, but never of anyone with a "Success" thread.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AJII
Has ANYONE ever gotten the transmission bolt out? I sure haven't. And I've read several threads of people asking how to do so, but never of anyone with a "Success" thread.
I have. My brother was going to help me change the fluid, I told him go ahead and get the bolt out to drain it. He starts to strip it. Learning from my wifes Mazda tribute, the plug will not come out unless the fluid is real warm. I warm it up by driving it some, use a craftsman "bolt out" and it comes right out. Doesnt really do any good though, it still leaves a bunch of fluid still in the pan, you just as well just leave it in there and pull the pan bolts and do it that way. The next time I did it(new drain plug in it), warmed it up good, plug loosened up easy. Just broke it loose and let it cool off some before finishing the job.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:25 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

The bolt is a little tough, but I've always been able to get it out. I just use it to drain the pan before pulling the pan, to reduce the big mess.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Knipex pliers are awesome!
outlawz2004, I think you've had success w/. hot fluid cause the pan is warm. Just heating a bolt when there's a close fit, may work, but the bolt diameter may increase ever so slightly while the pan stays the same in size. The pan needs to increase in size (if possible at all) while bolt doesn't need to get any larger. I'm trying to explain it best I can. Like a bolt "y" stuck in "x". You heat "x", which would be the surrounding material. That's what u want elastic-like. Sound better?
Old 04-10-2010, 06:36 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

+1, I have those pliers in a few sizes and they are excellent...they didn't help me much when I tried to remove my trans drain plug though, as my drain plug is a torx fastener. I tried everything to keep it from stripping too...I seated the torx socket completely into the fastener, used a SnapOn extra long breaker bar, and put a floor jack with a piece of wood under the head of the breaker bar to keep it from cocking sideways or slipping out of the fastener...the inside of the drain plug basically turned from a torx to a circle lol.

Quick Reply: Tranny drain bolt frozen in place