Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Tranny Kaboom...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Kaboom...

Hey guys...Just got the tranny rebuilt 2 months ago.
On my way home from hunting yesterday, i punched it from about 35 to pass a car and it revved up, sounded like it came out of gear, then it made all kinds of racket. Mind you im 70 miles from home. So i pull over and gather myself as im about to scream.

Try to take off in OD to no avail...but if i drop it down to 1 and shift up from there i was able to limp it home. Once in OD cruising was fine. TC works fine. Just when i come to a stop you can here it come out of gear and i have to drop it down again. So that being said im chomping at the bit to take it back to the tranny guy because it has a 2 year warranty and what happened was not abuse.

Any preliminary thoughts..im just curious as to what could be wrong..also noticed a small drip at the bottom of the diff which wasnt there before..Could the removal of some TM be the culprit?

Thanks for some help as it may get me through the day...

Matt
Matt
Old 09-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry guys...I cleared my cookies and used the wrong name to sign in...But i have posted a bit before...lol

Matt
Old 09-09-2007, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say the sprag busted. The reason you can roll in manual first and manual second is that the overrun clutches are holding and getting torque past the "missing" sprag. There's not much force with those, so they will slip with barely any throttle.

The good news is that the sprag is burried so deep that when they grenade they don't usually contaminate the rest of the transmission.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:49 PM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

Originally Posted by James B.
I would say the sprag busted. The reason you can roll in manual first and manual second is that the overrun clutches are holding and getting torque past the "missing" sprag. There's not much force with those, so they will slip with barely any throttle.

The good news is that the sprag is burried so deep that when they grenade they don't usually contaminate the rest of the transmission.
Right on the money!
Old 09-09-2007, 04:59 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do agree with an input sprag failure as James stated. It is probably about to let loose and is slipping when it should hold. In the lower ranges with the overrun clutch on it is helping it but it is only a matter of time until 4th is totally gone. However there are debris in that unit floating in the oil and it should be totally disassembled to be cleaned. That is just how I do things, I guess it will depend on the builder and what he feels is right. Vince
Old 09-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the responses guys..I sell Allstate Insurance and the tranny guy is one of my customers. He took care of me to begin with so im confident hell take care of me again. He said the only way he would not warranty it is if i neutral dropped it.

I will make sure he dissambles it though. My next stop may be the rear end shop to make sure all is ok there.. Thanks again! Will update as i find out tomorrow...

Matt
Old 09-10-2007, 06:51 AM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

Originally Posted by mjcook6
I will make sure he dissambles it though. My next stop may be the rear end shop to make sure all is ok there.. Thanks again! Will update as i find out tomorrow...
When the I broke the last sprag, the engine slipped BAD, bounced the rev limiter a few times, and finally dropped in gear. When it did that, it felt and sounded like someone ripped the axle from under the truck. I thought surely the rear end would be affected, but it wasn't. I guess you could check that out for piece of mind, but not likely to be damaged.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Just dropped the truck of this morning and he will be digging into it today.
What could cause this type of failure? Seems a bit strange on a freshly rebuilt tranny..??

Matt
Old 09-10-2007, 12:45 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by mjcook6
Just dropped the truck of this morning and he will be digging into it today.
What could cause this type of failure? Seems a bit strange on a freshly rebuilt tranny..??

Matt

Poor design by GM maby???
Old 09-10-2007, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Dock Rocker
Poor design by GM maby???
Isnt that the truth!

Quick Reply: Tranny Kaboom...