Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

tranny problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tranny problems?

hey as some of you guys may know I finally got my 6.0 installed last weekend along with a vigilante 3200 stall, anyways my tune came in today so I could actually get this thing going. threw the tune in truck started up fine and idle nicely, went to go out the driveway and it seemed like i had to give it an abnormal amount of gas to make it move, which could be normal, anyways got onto the main road, and the shifts were super super soft when it did shift, but would rev to like 5000rpm and hold there untill i let off the gas, anyways I guess its just not working good at all. When i installed the converter i push and turned it untill i felt/heard the 3 clicks, or whatever you want to call them, and called it done, maybe i broke the trans pump, or the converter isnt seated anymore? any ideas, comments, or suggestions is welcome
Old 07-16-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the converter was installed incorrectly, you would of broke the ears off of the rotor and cracked the slide. Which would cause you to have no line pressure at all.

Did you check the fluid level after the install? How does the fluid look? Is this the stock trans?

It sounds like the trans is on it's way out.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

im going to go check the fluid now, stock trans, 3-4 shift was a little on the soft side before all of this but other then that no problems
Old 07-16-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check that fluid... mine would barely move untill i put more fluid in it... keep letting it idle and run through each gear couple times.. then check it again... do it a couple times till you get it close...

and your shifts will be softer at part throttle with a converter..
Old 07-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

fluid was nice and red, tranny has not lost any fluid since ive had it, so I should still add more? your directions are kind of vaque, add fluid tell it gets close to what? it should have pretty well the factory amount of fluid it since it doesnt leak, and I havent ever drained the fluid
Old 07-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

Once you get the trans up to operating temp, leave it in park while running and check the dipstick. if you check the fluid without the engine running your reading will be WAY off since a lot of fluid drains back into the pan from the torque converter when the pump isn't turning.

higher stalls buffer shift feel, just the nature of the beast. the shifts are still happening inside the transmission at the same speed it just takes a little more time for the smaller turbines in the trans to respond (plus it makes the overall system stronger due to less shock). some will say increase the accumulator spring stiffness to return the "solid" shift feel but many trans builders will advise against that.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

the shifting and rpm are so jumpy and back and forth there is no way its working right, i seen videos of stalled vehicles and this is nothing, maybe its low on fluid and has low line pressure or something
Old 07-17-2010, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

alot of fluid is in the converter.. so when you installed your new converter you could possibly be low on fluid now.. so start the engine and hold the brake.. move the trans through all gears... let it warm up and check fluid level... add as needed..

can you get a video of what its doing?>
Old 07-17-2010, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

alot of fluid is in the converter.. so when you installed your new converter you could possibly be low on fluid now.. so start the engine and hold the brake.. move the trans through all gears... let it warm up and check fluid level... add as needed..

can you get a video of what its doing?>
Old 07-17-2010, 12:45 AM
Piss Pumps for Sale

ok Ill do that tomorrow and take a video if its still acting up, thanks for the help in advanced

Quick Reply: tranny problems?