Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Tranny Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tranny Question

I have had the Nelson tune out for about two months now (stock tune installed currently). I've began to notice that the engine hits the rev limiter before it will shift out of the top of second gear at WOT.
This just began to do this.
Why is this happening?

Jim
Old 04-08-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

it is hitting the rev limiter in 2nd with the stock tune or Nelson tune?
Old 04-08-2006, 10:35 PM
TECH Junkie

With the stock tune. I had the Nelson tune installed up and to about 2 months ago. I had to bring my truck into the dealership for brake repairs, and a GM rep was scheduled to look at it. So the tune came out and the stock one in. So, it's been two months that the stock tune has been installed.
It was driving and shifting fine until about a week ago.
That's when it began to hit the rev limiter from switching from 2nd gear to 3rd at WOT.
I just can't understand why this would start to happen.
Anyone?

Jim
Old 04-09-2006, 12:00 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe the trans is begaining to slip???? how much T.M did you have Allen remove? Any codes?
Old 04-09-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe Allen took out 100% TM.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:50 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your trans is starting to slip. when ppl do tunes and play with line pressure in the trannys they will have bad results later on down the line. thats why its always best just to leave the line pressure alone and just do a good shift kit. less wear on the trans that way
Old 04-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quik
your trans is starting to slip. when ppl do tunes and play with line pressure in the trannys they will have bad results later on down the line. thats why its always best just to leave the line pressure alone and just do a good shift kit. less wear on the trans that way

that is right on and when turnning pressure up it can also makevalves floter and not seal right
Old 04-09-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Question

So my tranny is already slipping?????????????????????????
What's the part or parts that are failing?
Line pressure is atock right now though.

Jim
Old 04-09-2006, 08:07 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MY trans slipped also when i added my intercooler a while ago, ( more power and i was running it hard) When i had Zippy and T.J. tare it apart they said the internals didnt look bad at all even though it was slipping bad. I f it is slipping try to put a little trans-x in it as it will help drivability although it is only a band aid. If its under warranty have them fix your trans and talk to them about maybe having you buy some good raybestos blue clutches and steels and them installing them for less trouble down the road. If they will only use stock parts than go ahead if its warr. and then call ZIPPY for a Zippy shift kit.( Also includes billet servos) This will reduce wear and tear on your trans. This is one of the best things for reliabilty and driving fun you can do!
Old 04-09-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Exclamation

Good news & bad news.
Today I changed my oil (finally went with Mobil 1 5w-30 full syn over semi-syn), K&N HP-1007 oil filter, Serviced the Volant filter, greased all 11 front cert fittings & the single rear slip yoke cert fitting, and rotated the tires.
The air filter was dirty, but not all that bad.
Anyways, it ran a lot better. A lot stronger than usual. I did some highway flogging on the tranny today, and no signs at all of hitting rev limiter when switching from 2nd to 3rd at WOT. I did it about 15 times with no problems what-so-ever.
My driveline clunking went away as well when switching from park to drive or drive to reverse. It used to also make clunking noises when I was in traffic and cruising at slow speeds when it would be in first or just second gear and let off the gas pedal and then slightly give it throttle. That went away as well!
I guess those 10 pumps of grease to the yoke cert was greatly needed!
Anyways, the bad news. I pulled off the rear drums to find that both of the rear axle seals are leaking "again"!!!! It wasn't slung all over but both seal areas are wet and you can see on both drums where it has put oil stains on the metal when it would be sitting. The drums also showed signs of glazing due to the axle fluid soaking into the brake shoes. This may be the problem to my rear brakes.
The axle seals were replaced once at 15,000mi. Now at 23,400mi they need replacing again. WTF gives!!!! I also checked the run-out of both axle ends to only find the the left rear had 4000ths of an inch out and the right rear had 2000ths of an inch out. Not really anything much at all. That little bit out would never be felt or cause problems.
I want a totally new rear G80 and all new brakes and hardware!!!!
It's going back to the dealer in the morning!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim

Quick Reply: Tranny Question