Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

trans cooler help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans cooler help please

I am going to be installing the i6 trailblazer converter on the Z71. I know a trans cooler would help but is it necessary? It is obviously a very mild tc and i cant imagine there being a real significant problem not having an aftermarket cooler on there. All guidance is appreciated as im a newbie @ this.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

I would get one, heat is the enemy and higher stall speed= hotter tranny fluid
Old 11-20-2008, 06:20 PM
hog
TECH Fanatic

Dont be too stressed out about not having a cooler. Its a stock torque converter, you wont have any heat issues.

Even on Precision Industries website they say you dont need to run an aux. trans cooler with their TC's in a performance/street situation. Its the towing situation that requires an aux cooler.

From PI's site
IS AN ADDITIONAL OIL COOLER REQUIRED WITH HIGH PERFORMANCE CONVERTERS?
An additional oil cooler is not required for high performance converters used in typical street or strip applications although added cooling is a good thing. Care should always be exercised when runup is made at the start line. Any excess time at stall puts the converter at risk due to heat build up. This type of heat buildup would not be saved with a cooler due to the time involved to get rid of the heat. If a vehicle is to be used in towing, an added cooler is a must. However, for normal use, added cooling is not required. The better the converter is designed, the more efficient it will be and the lower the amount of heat that is generated.

peace
Hog