Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

trans go kit modifying transmission pressure control solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 05:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default trans go kit modifying transmission pressure control solenoid

does the shift kit modify the transmission pressure control solenoid at all? trying to get to the bottom of a problem with 2-3 shift silenoid constantly going out. A jack *** local tuner whom i wont name cough...cough... carolina auto master
bumped up the force motor current mv way out of range and its causing things to not play right and heat up.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you want to make your settings for your line pressure to be at or near stock. the transgo was built with stock transmissions in mind.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Junkie

thats exacltly what I was thinking. The values this guy had it set at where over 300+mv off from stock WTF. His crappy tune has coste me nothing but money, lost time and more money. Im so sick of this. Im really considering posting his crappy tune on the internet so everyone can see how he had fuel cutoff lower than shift points force motor current all out of whack and a list of other things that a proffesional shouldnt have done. I dont think he did it intentionally but good god Im a novice and I can pick out the stupid **** ups

:rant off needed to vent
Old 05-23-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
does the shift kit modify the transmission pressure control solenoid at all? trying to get to the bottom of a problem with 2-3 shift silenoid constantly going out. A jack *** local tuner whom i wont name cough...cough... carolina auto master
bumped up the force motor current mv way out of range and its causing things to not play right and heat up.
Transgo does not modify the solenoid. Does modify overall pressure via the main pressure regulator and I know 1-2 shift valves. Possibly the 2-3 spools/valves. Don't know for certian the 2-3. Uses stiffer springs also. After kit install I would not ever increase force motor current. The kit mechanically increases line pressure, increasing force motor current would then compound the pressure increase. After my recent install I am all over trying to tune 1->2 shift pressures DOWN for part throttle. I am by no means a trans expert.... just my opinions. Take for what it is worth.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:44 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
let me understand...your tuner UPPED the forced motor current? Are you absolutely positive? Compared with one of your original tunes?

Sounds like your on the right track though from your other thread!
Old 05-23-2005, 10:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
let me understand...your tuner UPPED the forced motor current? Are you absolutely positive? Compared with one of your original tunes?

Sounds like your on the right track though from your other thread!
yeah hes the same jackass that had my rev limiter set lower than the shift points and then when we took it out for a drive and at wot bounced off the limiter he said OH thats not the limiter its just a good firm shift.

So with him upping the force motor current the motor is trying to decrease the pressure while the shift kit is mechanically raising it hence things not playing nice and lots of slipping and heat.
By the way the tuners name is Jeff Creech Carolina Auto masters in Raleigh, NC
what a waste of money and time
Old 05-23-2005, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris,
There's 2 sides to every story and I'll tell y'all mine...

Chris didn't want anything changed for shift firmness, I have all the files from the stuff I had done, and there's no changes made. (BTW, I typically drop milliamps by about 15-20%, more at WOT, never have raised the amperage. Ever.)

I bent over backwards to help Chris when he came to me post cam swap with a rocker flopping around that hadn't been reinstalled correctly. Went back through with a torque wrench and checked them, few were at the required torque, didn't charge him for all this check out work, only tuning, since he was very distraught over how some mechanic had done him wrong. I cleared my calendar and moved appointments around on several occasions so I could work with Chris's schedule, and never a thank you.

I took phone calls, sometimes as late as 11pm, asking questions about how to do X Y or Z in HP Tuner software. Questions like "The truck is detonating so we took fuel out, how much should I take out?" Answer: "You're going to blow something up if you remove fuel if it's detonating." (And then more questions about what's the difference between knock retard and detonation. I don't think it was detonating, I think he was just seeing KR.)

So, I tried to help, and Chris changed a lot of stuff on his own and so who knows what's in his truck now. I sure don't. I know what I loaded into it.

I make mistakes, and I fess up to them and correct them, but I can't correct that which I did not do, and when the first I hear of a particular issue is a cowardly anonymous post on a message board and not a phone call, it's all but impossible for me to help at all.

And so we both agree on one thing, our time together was a waste of money and time for both of us. It's very unfortunate for us both. I could have made more happy customers like I do every day, and spent time helping them. I really wish I had a crystal ball and could tell in advance when these unfortunate instances are going to happen so I could avoid them for the benefit of all involved.

Chris, good luck getting everything working right.
-jeff
Old 05-24-2005, 12:22 AM
TECH Junkie

I appreciate your candor Jeff there are several other issues at hand which need addressing. First I was wrong for calling you a jackass and I apologize, should of kept it proffessional.

1) you said you could fix my problems with dieing and idle after the cam install you did not I had to do that with HP tuners, how about the corvette that same day with the same problem he drove away without a resolution

2) I was hitting the rev limiter and you said it was a nice hard shift, before I came to you it wasnt doing that

3)That is simply not what I said when I called you one time at night, I asked you about kr and adding or subtracting fuel

4)you did raise the voltage on the force motor, when I said it was shifting to hard from 1 to 2 at low throttle I was standing beside you

5) after I drove 3 hours the last time to come see you because you said you would help me I get out there and mysteriously you cant read the PCM but when someone else comes out there with other hp tunes on there cars you can read them, personal versions of the software cannot lock the pcm

1 or 2 mistakes I understand we all make them lord knows I do, but several. Im not saying your actions were malicious they were not. I am just very sorry and displeased with the fact that I gave you 450 dollars and have nothing to show for it.

I still have the tune you put on my truck and we can post it in the tuning section if you like. As far as my post being cowardly Im just hoping others dont make the same mistake I did.

I wish you all the best luck in the future.
Sincerely,
chris
Old 05-24-2005, 12:32 AM
TECH Junkie

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318627
Old 05-24-2005, 08:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Something that can happen is whats called solenoid flooding.This could be caused be to much line pressure from the shiftkit combined with tuning and lastly someone manually turing up the force motor pressure screw adj.When it acts up you will get like a double shift or a upshift and a quick downshift at part throttle.The other problem that has been discussed on the forum was solenoid code thrown causing limp mode.That can be addressed by shutting off the code with edit.Dont know if HP will do it.