Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Trans line flush at home??? Need advice!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Post Trans line flush at home??? Need advice!!

I recently purchased a stronger 4L60E tranny from Flyer, and I'm busy in my garage popping it in.

I got the old one out no problem (besides those stubborn glued connectors on the circuit board).

The new one is in, no problem. Bench-pressed, no tranny jack used

I am just wondering if anyone has any suggestions regarding flushing the tranny lines and the factory trans cooler. I really don't want to hook up the tranny with all that dirty fluid in the lines!!!

thanks,

Chris
Old 01-01-2005, 11:51 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

There's always a degree of dirty trans fluid in there, shouldn't be a problem.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:54 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to have a trans line/cooler flush kit. If you just blow it out with compressed air you will be ok. Just keep your eyes safe. Is there any debris in the old trans?
Old 01-01-2005, 11:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That canned stuff that I was telling you about will work good. The only thing is you might have a hard time finding it. It's sold as 'trans cooler line flush' or something similar to that. It has a threaded end on it and will fit on the bevels of the stock lines if you push and hold it hard enough. If you have an aftermarket trans cooler, cut the threaded fitting off the hose on the can and just stick the hose in the line for the cooler. It will fit JUST right inside the line. Be sure to clean out both sides if you do that.

The trans is a lot more sensitive to dirt and foriegn material than an engine. The burnt fluid has ash from the old friction material. That ash acts as a lubricant,kinda like tiny marbles on the new clutch surfaces. I'd clean it as best you can.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:46 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Flyer makes a good point. If there is ANY debris in there you need to get it out!!!
Old 01-02-2005, 12:48 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree on the debris. Didn't know the fluid was fried.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just hook it up the best you can and run it to the nearest shop and get it flushed. Just make sure they use the internal pump and not an external. Good piece of mind for $100 or less.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

Well, we should know the total fluid volume of the transmission system.

What about filling up a clean 5 gallon bucket with the total fluid volume of the system, and running a line from the suction side of the system to that bucket. Then getting another 5 gallon bucket and letting all the old fluid in there. Just have the truck runing, idling in park and shut it off once the all of the new fluid id in the tranny.

Would that work?
Old 01-02-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Fandango .. good diea, but it doesn't work like that. There isn't a suction side, only a pressure sid. The pump pushes the fluid through the coolers and back into the trans where it's exhausted into the pan eventually.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

brake cleaner or alcohol - like brian said - use compressed air on a lower psi setting.
and flush the lines and the cooler - flush until it the fluid/cleaner coming out is clear

Quick Reply: Trans line flush at home??? Need advice!!