Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

trans pan removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans pan removal

I was trying to install my new Mag-Hytech trans pan today, but I ran into a problem with the bracket holding the shifter cable in place. The bracket is in the way of getting the pan down. Should I try to remove it,(I can just barely get my one hand up there to touch the bracket), or try to bend it out of the way? What kind of bolts hold it in place? It feels like s torx type. Any trans guys have any tips to make this easier?
Old 08-30-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wkdivr
I was trying to install my new Mag-Hytech trans pan today, but I ran into a problem with the bracket holding the shifter cable in place. The bracket is in the way of getting the pan down. Should I try to remove it,(I can just barely get my one hand up there to touch the bracket), or try to bend it out of the way? What kind of bolts hold it in place? It feels like s torx type. Any trans guys have any tips to make this easier?
Yeah, it's a PITA. You have 2 choices. Option I use...Remove the bracket. THis requires a small torx bit (can't remember size) and it is tough to get at but doable. Second option others have used is bend the bracket but I didn't like that choice.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bent mine. Didn't have the torx bit.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:07 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

all it needs is a little extra angle to it, I removed mine, put it in the vice, added the little extra angle, reinstalled it, done deal.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

T 40 torx bit
Old 08-30-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by moregrip
all it needs is a little extra angle to it, I removed mine, put it in the vice, added the little extra angle, reinstalled it, done deal.

How the hell did you get your hand in there?!? 'Course, if the front drive shaft wasn't there, things would be a lot easier. I hate to do it....but I might just try to bend it out of the way. I'll look at it tomorrow, I was beginning to get pissed off, so I figured just put things back together before you mess something up. Man...that Mag-Hytech pan sure is nice!
Old 08-30-2005, 06:46 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

How the hell did you get your hand in there?!? 'Course, if the front drive shaft wasn't there, things would be a lot easier. I hate to do it....but I might just try to bend it out of the way. I'll look at it tomorrow, I was beginning to get pissed off, so I figured just put things back together before you mess something up. Man...that Mag-Hytech pan sure is nice!
well, I do have the 2wd, probably alot more room to work with.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just bend the bracket! I bent Mine three times and no problems.

My great solution to the problem is swap in a T56, because you won't have a trans pan any more!
Old 08-30-2005, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gamedawgx53
T 40 torx bit
A T40 bit to fit a 1/4" ratchet would work best, but it can be done with a T40, a 3/8" ratchet, and 1 extension . . . having small hands helps, but it still took me 45 minutes and a special trip to the auto parts store. And yes, mine is a 4x4.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is what I used
works well in those tight spots

taking the heat shield off the other side may help some too
Attached Thumbnails trans pan removal-00944834000-190.jpg  

Quick Reply: trans pan removal