Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Trans problem and removal !

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans problem and removal !

Got a problem with my 1999 4x4 Tahoe, L31, 4L60E... no reverse and a whinding noise.. so. I started to take it out to take it over to my friend to have it rebuilt..

But, Need some help here now.. I have disconnected all of the bolts, connectors as noted in most threads and search results.. I removed the trans/transfer case Crossmember and unbolted the Transfer case, moved it as far back as I could.
But the Trans output shaft is still hangs some inside of the Transfer case front housing. I tried to remove the trans hoping it I would be able to nose dive it down pass the flywheel.. but didn't make it.. tried to move the Transfer case around some more and the trans but just could not get the room needed to get the trans out.. either the flywheel or the transfer case would stop the trans from dropping out. The transfer case would not move anymore back due to the Troque arm crossmember.

So.. what is the trick here ?.. do I need to take the trans and transfer cause out together, do I need to remove the Transfer case 1st.. or even remove the Troque arm member (I am hoping not). Or even lift the engine up and forward (again, hoping not). !

Any suggest or procedures would be helpfull, need to get it out and rebuild ASAP.. I am missing the Ski weekends !

Thanks

BC
Old 01-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Pull transfer case all the way out.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Foggy

Is there a trick to that ?.. from what I can see and ran into.. with the trans still bolted to the engine. Crossmember removed, transfer case unbolted, the transfer case only has some much room to move back before running into the Crossmember for the Front Torsion bars anchoring/adjust crossmember..

Moving it as far as I could, it still left about 3" inside the case and I could not move the case around enough to get the output shaft to clear and let the case drop.?

I know I am just missing something simple here...

Thanks..

BC
Old 01-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Once you remove the trans crossmember you have to support the trans from under it so it doesnt hand too low. If you support the trans then you can slide the tcase back off the shaft and it will be above the Tbar crossmember. Once its clear of the trans output shaft you can remove it.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll give it another shot when I get home.. but from what I have already tried.. I know that transfer case will not move any farther back because of the Floor board and the Tbar crossmember. I have also tried jacking/lifing the Trans/engine to different angles, but as I said..them 3 inches still hanging inside the case is just not being friendly to me on this simple job.. LOL..

But thanks much.., I'll give it another shot today..

BC
Old 01-07-2013, 05:10 PM
Admin

Something else is going on here I feel, I have removed many tcases and never had a issue. If you have to, take a picture so we can see if something else is going on.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

Get someone to help you lift it out. You will need to lift it above the tbar crossmember, once you clear the trans, you will turn it 90* and drop it down between trans and tbar crossmember.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Got it out... thanks for the tips...

Turns out I should have unbolted it at the case and extension... and not at the transmission to extension.:-)

But it is out and over at my friends to get taken apart to see what went wrong and what it well take to put back together.

Question, how many of you are using a Corvette spec'd Servo? My rebuilder thinks it well hit to hard for a daily street driver.

Was also thinking of going with the standard TransGo tow-n-go shift kit along with the Vette servo ?!

Thanks again

BC
Old 01-08-2013, 05:25 AM
Admin

Ahhh, yep. That's why I said take a picture as I knew you shouldn't have a issue. Glad you got it figured out.