Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Trans smoked! no 3rd or 4th. NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 01:22 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I smoked mine the same way pretty much... it was a certified used vehicle when I bought it and only put about 8,000 miles on it when it happened and GM replaced the whole unit with a BRAND NEW TRANNY... I was happy.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I just bought Jet power-billet servos from summit. I got the second and forth gear for $170.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Billet servos huh, Hey Billy, " get that neckbrace out of the closet." I would suggest no washers in the 1-2 acc. or the servo. You should consider a beast sunshell.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by slowec
Billet servos huh, Hey Billy, " get that neckbrace out of the closet." I would suggest no washers in the 1-2 acc. or the servo. You should consider a beast sunshell.

In a earlier post a member suggested a vette servo,this guy didnt question as to why,he is not into taking others suggestions/recommendations/experiences.This is likely to be one of those situations where he is going to have on going trans problems.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:55 PM
Teching In

It is not that I am not listening to other members, I have talked to a few different people that build transmissions and they told me to run the billets. If I don’t like it I will change to a vette servo. I have searched many post on this site on this subject and think most people here know what they are talking about. I do not have much experience with transmissions and I am doing my best with the info I have. I think a lot of people on this site have gone with the trail and error method before.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by guffsx125
It is not that I am not listening to other members, I have talked to a few different people that build transmissions and they told me to run the billets. If I don’t like it I will change to a vette servo. I have searched many post on this site on this subject and think most people here know what they are talking about. I do not have much experience with transmissions and I am doing my best with the info I have. I think a lot of people on this site have gone with the trail and error method before.

With your reply you seem cool,not a hot head.I wish you the best of luck getting what you want with your build.The pro builders here mostly are sponsers,most recommend no billet in the 2nd.They(billets) do shatter input drums and sungears,they can have a brutal shift,they are over kill being there only job is to hold the band tight on the reverse drum.This forum is full of usefull info so you dont have to be the guinny pig,it requires searching asking questions and weeding thru the BS from the ones that have actually done there own work,or i guess the guys that have paid someone to do the work enough learn too.

You have never RB a trans?You are going to take this on yourself? Hey the right person never into a trans can do this with patiance.I just hope you dont get into $1500-$1800 in parts and it dont work and it destroys itself on the first test run.When do you plan to be done?

I guess part of my beef is with Jet products,some of there parts are good but most are over priced and taylored to the inexperienced.IMHO $170 is a lot if you are worried about any kind of budget.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:38 PM
Teching In

I have bought a GM factory trans manual to reference and my neighbor has rebuilt many before. I appreciate all the input from everyone on this forum. If it was not for this site and LS1tech I would be a lot farther behind than I am. A good friend of mine works at the local chevy dealer as a parts guy and he is going to get me a vette servo. If the billets work out I will put it in my work truck. I do not need a full out race trans, but now that I will finally have a stall I can get that cam I have been wanting. I was thinking a TR224 on a 112LSA. I do plan on nitrous in the spring. Just want to know if that is a good cam to spray. Also if that would be a good choice for me in the first place.

Thanks, Anthony