Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Trans swap times...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i couldnt find any at a hardware store... you have a FLT right? Call vince and ask... i hate the stockers!!!
Old 02-20-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
i couldnt find any at a hardware store... you have a FLT right? Call vince and ask... i hate the stockers!!!
yeah i will just call them and have them throw em in.... im sure its not that big of a deal, they havent shipped the trans out yet
Old 02-20-2007, 12:21 PM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

Hmm... I guess the times depends on type of truck, exhaust setup, and available tools. It takes me longer b/c I have a half-*** (git 'r dun) exhaust setup (w/ h-pipe) and no trans jack. Doing this job myself with just a floor jack takes longer than 2hrs for R/R... that includes draining the pan and filling up. I'd buy a trans jack, but I don't want to make a habit of pulling/installing transmissions every week. Done this at least three times already, and have one more when I get my FLT within a month or so. I'll try to borrow a trans jack (they make life waaaaaaay easier ).
Old 02-20-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LesPaul
yeah i will just call them and have them throw em in.... im sure its not that big of a deal, they havent shipped the trans out yet
Thats what i would do man, i jsut absolutly hate the stock bolts. plus its alot easier to use a ratchet than a allen wrench and cresent wrench for a cheater..
Old 02-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

if nothing else they are 10X1.5MM bolts about 1" long... If I recall correctly.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

well im going to borrow a trans jack if i can... i do have to seperate a t-case, and last time i tried to get the y-pipe off my headers i wanted to kill myself... i plan to take off my intake manifold to get to the top bolts of the bell housing.. im doing it alone and have no air tools.... sounds like fun huh... im going to guesse it will take me the better part of the day to do this... but thats ok.. i will keep you guys posted
Old 02-20-2007, 01:58 PM
13 Second Truck Club

might want to think about collectors for the headers if you had trouble in the past getting them off..I had to R&R my trans under warranty to fix a leak and the y-pipe would not let go of the pacesetters, so i cut them off and added some ball flange collectors to help with the next R&R...
Old 02-20-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigbadwolf54
might want to think about collectors for the headers if you had trouble in the past getting them off..I had to R&R my trans under warranty to fix a leak and the y-pipe would not let go of the pacesetters, so i cut them off and added some ball flange collectors to help with the next R&R...
yeah i cant weld and no shop will touch my exhaust with a 10' poll
Old 02-20-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

is thier any special tools i need at all??? like to seperate the tcase or anything
Old 02-22-2007, 01:56 PM
13 Second Truck Club

no special tools required really, an extra floor jack comes in handy but is not needed if you pay attention, a 3 foot extension with a few deep/mid length swivel sockets (13mm-15mm)are nice too unless you like to crawl around on top of the engine(I'm a big guy and thats not very fun), a variety of pry bars, some ratchet wrench's always come in handy

Quick Reply: Trans swap times...