Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Transfer case info

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 10:45 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

I read a post that a guy tried to swap and they didn't engage properly I am guessing the logic is different or possibly the wiring. May want to start with a schematic as mentioned and use the correct OS in case there is a difference.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ill hear back on which transfer cases he has instock. He said nobody ever comes lookin for xcases or 4L80E's. But they cant keep a 4L60E on the shelf. Pretty much could sell one every day if they had enough haha.

Now for the fun part. How could i tell if its a non autotrak by lookin at it?

Just to double check before i bolt everything up.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:44 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Ill hear back on which transfer cases he has instock. He said nobody ever comes lookin for xcases or 4L80E's. But they cant keep a 4L60E on the shelf. Pretty much could sell one every day if they had enough haha.

Now for the fun part. How could i tell if its a non autotrak by lookin at it?

Just to double check before i bolt everything up.
Should be a round Tag on it indicating what case it is.

Are these used unit's??? All they should have to do is break the case and change the output shaft's from a 32 spline to a 27 spline.

Looks like the NV 243 is basically an electronic 241

This is what the tag should look like on the 246. NVG-246 Transfer Case Oil Change - Truck Mod Central
Old 10-22-2012, 07:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

I was tryin to get around swappin input gears.

Just do the pump mod and go.

And gettin the unit for free.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, hopefully I can clear up some of the confusion, if my memory can still be trusted. The major difference between the 246 and the others is the "auto" position on the switch/encoder motor and logic software in the t/case module. The 246 uses a heavy clutch pack to allow front axle slippage when no tire slip is detected. There is a special motor quadrant location that allows the shafts to have RPM match, yet not be totally locked. When slippage is detected by comparing front to rear shaft speeds, the module commands the motor to compress the t/case clutch and lock the front axle to the rear. The 246 is really not the same animal at all compared to the 241/243, which simply uses an encoder motor rather than a shift lever to change drive modes.

As far as the fluid goes, the Auto-Trak fluid was basically ATF with a friction modifier developed specifically for that auto clutch pack.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks Brian!!!

ive never messed with Transfer cases and this is my first time.

So basically i just need to make sure its an Autotrak that coe out from behind a 4L80E..
Old 10-22-2012, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 246 will be a brutal first t/case as t/cases go, so take pics or video while disassembling, make sure you work the linkages to understand them before removing them. DO NOT power the encoder motor while seperated from the built case, the motor can overextend and become an expensive paperweight, and make sure it is not in "auto 4wd" when unplugging everything. The motor is applying some pressure to the clutch fork and overcoming that on install is nasty. The large rear snap-ring takes knowledge on install; with the speed sensors out, set the rear case down as far as it will go against the front, then spread the ring to get it started on the rear bearing. Then gently lift the rear shaft with a long screwdriver inside the speed sensor hole (protect the threads) until it snaps in. Don't forget the rear yoke bushing, and the front seal goes in much easier with the special tool if you can get it. The rear seal is easier to orient when installing it in the truck (drain hole straight down). Make sure there is no pump to case wear, and the steel case protector is installed, I can't recall the name of it.

Not sure but I think a 246 is a 246, 4L80 or 4L60. Might research that a bit...
Old 10-23-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the lesson!!
I know they cant be the same cause the input gear for the 80e is 32spline vs 27 spline for the 60E.

I did a slip yoke elimenator on the 241 for my samurai and that was easy. But reason i wanna go with a 80e ready xcase is so i wont have to split it.
But then again i wanna put the case protector in it. So...... Looks like no fun either way
Old 10-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

I believe what brian ment was that other than the input shaft splines the case and internals were the same. On some case's one half of the case is different for say the bolt pattern or the mating shafts.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

ohhhh i see now..

thanks guys... still waiting to see what he has on the shelf..

Quick Reply: Transfer case info