Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Transfer case info

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 01:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, now I have learned more about the 246. Didn't know about the spline difference, but makes complete sense. I shoulda known that. Thanks!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brian,
i still have to go by your info given just to change the wear plate?
Old 10-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Oops, I thought you were rebuilding. The rear speed sensors are first out, last in. Have a set of lock ring pliers that can open around 1.5 inches. These are the ones I use. P24A SNAP RING PLIERS | Matco Tools Once the rear case is off (it slides off after the bolts are off and ring loose, set the case front down and the rear shaft will fall out of the lock position so you can just pull the case off), have a blow gun ready to blast the silicone crap off the pump strainer. The oil feed tube just falls out of the pump, remember which way it goes. Do the pump wear sleeve repair and reverse to install. The shift rods are mostly in place, but the case may need to be jiggled some to get them back into the rear case bosses. Try to keep the case nose down, things can get loose and fall out of place. Otherwise, this is an easy repair for you to do, I would poke around just to see how it works, they are pretty cool.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Also, the bolts have an anti-corrosive coating on them because of the magnesium content in the casting. I have not reapplied anything but the case silicone and never had a problem. Your information to do as you wish.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks a bunch Brian!!

I went in my 241 and did the SYE and took the Neutral bar out, welded up the notch, and made a new notch so the sensor will close when its in 4LO.. sending that signal to the PCM so it uses 4LO shift points.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

Sweet. Yet another reason I joined these forums, learning a lot from the guys here, and the LS1 forum.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Np246gm transfer case

Ok guys y'all seem to know everything so after reading the whole forum I decided to ask some questions. I have a Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L 4x4 truck. My transfer case is shot to say the least. I thought about rebuilding it. How hard could it be I did the 4l60e in my last truck an it still runs. But shot like I said, my case has a gash I asuming from the inside out an 2 holes tiny holes. Is there anyway this can be repaired so I can do a rebuild? Or am I better off just getting another one? Cause I've already bn suckered out of money for one that was not a 246 turns out but I guess they took the id plate off one an put on another an I can't get my money back. Thank goodness it was only $100 but still it was $100. So I'm not really trusting anyone at the moment. I have no choice thow unless I wanna pay $1000 for a new one. Also is there a diff model that would work in my truck with my trans that I don't have to do any modifications to? You guys seem to b pretty damn smart on this could u help a girl out. In English please my terminology is good but not with cases I'm a bit confused with 27 splints 32spline I know how to count but how do u tell without having to do that. To much to say at once I will leave it at that? Can y'all help me out? Please!
Old 06-05-2023, 11:10 PM
makes children cry

Received 440 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Amy269
Ok guys y'all seem to know everything so after reading the whole forum I decided to ask some questions. I have a Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L 4x4 truck. My transfer case is shot to say the least. I thought about rebuilding it. How hard could it be I did the 4l60e in my last truck an it still runs. But shot like I said, my case has a gash I asuming from the inside out an 2 holes tiny holes. Is there anyway this can be repaired so I can do a rebuild? Or am I better off just getting another one? Cause I've already bn suckered out of money for one that was not a 246 turns out but I guess they took the id plate off one an put on another an I can't get my money back. Thank goodness it was only $100 but still it was $100. So I'm not really trusting anyone at the moment. I have no choice thow unless I wanna pay $1000 for a new one. Also is there a diff model that would work in my truck with my trans that I don't have to do any modifications to? You guys seem to b pretty damn smart on this could u help a girl out. In English please my terminology is good but not with cases I'm a bit confused with 27 splints 32spline I know how to count but how do u tell without having to do that. To much to say at once I will leave it at that? Can y'all help me out? Please!
you can't tell without pulling it off the transmission... but 27spline was for 4L60 (and 4L65) trucks/suvs (light duty automatics). 32spline was mated to all manual transmissions, 4L80s/4L85s, and Allisons. fun related fact: the light duty manual transmissions used a lighter-duty 32spline transfer case than the HD trucks.

many of these New Process units had magnesium cases (hence wearing holes from the inside being a common problem). if you can find one from the same transmission as your truck, then you're golden. unless you have one of the few oddball 5.3/4L80 2500s, then you'll want to look for a 27spline unit from another 1/2ton automatic.
The following users liked this post:
strutaeng (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 12:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok see that's what I thought I was doing was getting one off the same Transmission I've got. Instead I got got! Come to find out after doing some research the one I got got for is a 226. But it didn't have the id plate on it. So just any o transfer case off a 4l60e won't work cause I seen the tranny they said the 226 came off of an it was same as mine. I know tranny a lil bit better than transfer cases. I b better off just getting a diff truck no one round here has what I need an it would cost me that much in shipping to buy one an have it shipped. What do I do? Thank you thow! I'm having a delima this is only ride I have. Husband took it apart to fix it an I new better I've always done my own work but ii thought ok he is the man so go for it. Well 2 weeks later still no running truck an he goes to jail an now going to prison. O if I could only kick myself in the *** literally!!! An I have asked everyone from here to Arkansas an back no one has what I need. Isn't frustration grand. Thanks guys! Sorry for the rant my bad!
The following users liked this post:
strutaeng (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 07:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 208 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Amy269
Ok see that's what I thought I was doing was getting one off the same Transmission I've got. Instead I got got! Come to find out after doing some research the one I got got for is a 226. But it didn't have the id plate on it. So just any o transfer case off a 4l60e won't work cause I seen the tranny they said the 226 came off of an it was same as mine. I know tranny a lil bit better than transfer cases. I b better off just getting a diff truck no one round here has what I need an it would cost me that much in shipping to buy one an have it shipped. What do I do? Thank you thow! I'm having a delima this is only ride I have. Husband took it apart to fix it an I new better I've always done my own work but ii thought ok he is the man so go for it. Well 2 weeks later still no running truck an he goes to jail an now going to prison. O if I could only kick myself in the *** literally!!! An I have asked everyone from here to Arkansas an back no one has what I need. Isn't frustration grand. Thanks guys! Sorry for the rant my bad!
You can get an aftermarket case half if yours has the holes from the pump rub. The NP246 is unique in that it has a clutchpack, much like an automatic transmission clutchpack. I e been meaning to open the one on my project truck to go through it. 2 shafts, gears, a chain and a bunch of bearings and a gasket. If you've rebuilt a transmission, i think you are capable. You can probably find a service manual in PDF floating around the Internet to help you.