Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Transfer Case Oil Pump Retainer/Wear Protector

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 08:49 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transfer Case Oil Pump Retainer/Wear Protector

Hey folks, through my research it appears that the AutoTrak transfer case has an oil pump retaining clip that is prone to breakage (as it has been re-designed). I remember reading that if it breaks, it can cause wear to the back case half which could cause a leak and render the case half junk.

I'm kinda thinking that when I get my FLT Lvl7 paid off and go to swap it in, that it may behoove me to open up the transfer case and replace this clip...seems like cheap insurance, and looks like it's as easy as pulling some sensors, splitting the halves, and replacing the clip. Looks like the new clip goes on the pump first, instead of in the case first?

Any input?

origingal clip
Name:  22626231.jpg
Views: 2968
Size:  54.7 KB

broken clip
Name:  DSC08074a.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  79.0 KB

redesigned clip
Name:  DSC08090a.jpg
Views: 1221
Size:  71.4 KB

Pics taken from this thread: https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...=368971&page=2
Old 09-02-2009, 11:18 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Bump
Old 09-03-2009, 06:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when did the redesigned clip come out? Was it just in early models and then fixed for the later years?
Old 09-03-2009, 07:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Billy, I would plan to change it.... absolutely. Those are actually pictures from my recent 80e swap. Transfer case had about 70k miles on it. The pump, with the broken clip, had already eaten away about half of the case thickness. It was going to wear through and leak. Clip was cheap and the case is relatively easy to get into and swap them out. Why not do the preventative whilst its out.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dkota1968
when did the redesigned clip come out? Was it just in early models and then fixed for the later years?
Thats a mid year 03 transfer case so somewhere after that is all I can add.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:14 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Thanks Roger, seems like it's definitely a good preventive measure...I'm adding that to the list of things to do while the trans is out (other things being nickel plated slip yoke and u-joints)
Old 09-03-2009, 11:30 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My clip broke and wore through the case. Those case halves are not cheap! I have the new design in there now.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by thunder550
My clip broke and wore through the case. Those case halves are not cheap! I have the new design in there now.
No they aren't but JB weld is. There are two much better fixes then GM's redesigned clip as well. I'm not sure if I can mention names but the one we put in my dads dirtymax is a stamped steel piece that contacts all indentions in the case, not just one like the GM piece does.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Hold the horses here. . .the metal clips have 2 problems; 1) the early-early clips were dead soft steel and it was common to see them cut in half. Later clips were harder and more recently GM came out with the new design shown above. 2) All metal clips or inserts WILL wear the soft magnesium. This includes other aftermarket parts with 5 metal edges that contact the magnesium (also watch out because this other part pushes the pump forward by the thickness of the plate).

I have been very involved with this issue. One of the biggest questions I had was why does the magnesium have such terrible wear properties? Bottom line is the AZ91D alloy is too soft. Wear is seen at the pump tab contacts, clip, bearing pockets, shift fork rails in this transfer case (and Ford magnesium T-cases too).

I sent out sections of both aluminum and magnesium transfer cases and had them hardness tested at room temp and at operating temp. The magnesium gets alarmingly soft when hot and that is why they wear wherever (moving) metal contacts it. This link is the summary of these tests --> http://www.sonnax.com/tech-articles/TASC-TIP-11-07.pdf

The revised GM clip, the aftermarket 5 tab metal clip and any other metal in contact with the magnesium WILL wear the magnesium. With these facts in mind, we developed the Sonnax Pump Plate 100246-02K, see information link here --> http://www.sonnax.com/announcements/100246-02K.pdf

The eliminates metal contact between the pump and the magnesium case. Instead of metal contact we use high density plastic (like snowmobile hyfax slides). This material has proven itself in testing and in service. With this part you can expect a 100% fix and ZERO wear of the magnesium housing in the future that is so common on these.

Pulling your T-Case apart when you have it out is a great idea and not too difficult to back together.

Gregg
Old 09-03-2009, 11:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

When I did my 80e swap, my clip was not broken nor was the case warn, but I put the new style clip (per KySliverado's thread ) and all is good to go . Oh, and my truck was around the 90k mile mark when I did this.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Oil Pump Retainer/Wear Protector