Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Transfer Case prob - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrX
I found this which doesn't sound to promising either:

Transfer Case Jumps Out of Gear

DEFINITION: Loss of the transfer case drive torque during deceleration, acceleration or under load.
Review the Symptoms - Transfer Case and perform the necessary inspections.
High/low shift fork pads
  1. Inspect the shift fork pads for wear. Refer to Cleaning and Inspection in Transfer Case - NVG 246-NP8 Unit Repair.
  2. Replace the fork pads or other damaged components. Refer to Transfer Case Disassemble and Transfer Case Assemble in Transfer Case - NVG 246-NP8 Unit Repair.
Faulty high/low range fork
  1. Inspect the high/low range fork for damage or wear. Refer to Cleaning and Inspection in Transfer Case - NVG 246-NP8 Unit Repair.
  2. Replace the high/low range fork if faulty. Refer to Transfer Case Disassemble and Transfer Case Assemble in Transfer Case - NVG 246-NP8 Unit Repair.
Actuator lever worn
  1. Inspect for excessive wear on the actuator lever - for not allowing full shift fork travel. Refer to Cleaning and Inspection in Transfer Case - NVG 246-NP8 Unit Repair.
  2. Replace the faulty actuator lever. Refer to Transfer Case Disassemble and Transfer Case Assemble in Transfer Case - NVG 246-NP8 Unit Repair.
Faulty high speed teeth on range sleeve
  1. Inspect for the following conditions:
    • The input gear high speed engagement teeth for wear or damage
    • The engagement teeth on the range sleeve for wear or damage Refer to Cleaning and Inspection in Transfer Case - NVG 246-NP8 Unit Repair.
    Replace the range sleeve if the teeth are faulty. Refer to Transfer Case Disassemble and Transfer Case Assemble in Transfer Case - NVG 246-NP8 Unit Repair.
  2. Replace the input gear if the engagement teeth are faulty. Refer to Transfer Case Disassemble and Transfer Case Assemble in Transfer Case - NVG 246-NP8 Unit Repair.
High/low planetary carrier
  1. Inspect for the following conditions of the high/low planetary carrier:
    • Low speed engagement teeth worn or damaged
    • Cracked carrier housing
    • Pinion gear bushings worn or out of position
    • Pinion gears broken or damaged teeth
    • Pinion gears seized Refer to Cleaning and Inspection in Transfer Case - NVG 246-NP8 Unit Repair.
  2. Replace the high/low planetary carrier if any of the above conditions are found. Refer to Transfer Case Disassemble and Transfer Case Assemble in Transfer Case - NVG 246-NP8 Unit Repair.
Input shaft pilot bearing
  1. Inspect the bearing in the input gear and the rear output shaft journal for excessive wear. Refer to Cleaning and Inspection in Transfer Case - NVG 246-NP8 Unit Repair.
  2. Replace the bearing and the rear output shaft if faulty. Refer to Transfer Case Disassemble and Transfer Case Assemble in Transfer Case - NVG 246-NP8 Unit Repair.
Input gear
  1. Inspect the input gear for broken or damaged teeth. Refer to Cleaning and Inspection in Transfer Case - NVG 246-NP8 Unit Repair.
  2. Replace the input gear if faulty. Refer to Transfer Case Disassemble and Transfer Case Assemble in Transfer Case - NVG 246-NP8 Unit Repair.
Document ID# 833621
2004 Chevrolet Avalanche - 4WD
OMFG! Ur killin me! ...but I don't think its anything this serious as I don't lose drive or torq...seems to be just a lite issue right now as I get no code or warning msg on the display. Its going to the dealer on mon, so lets see if they'll fix it on warranty or find anything...prob shud be looked at anyway as its been sweating/lite leak. R/
Old 08-01-2008, 11:25 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good luck with it. I have a 2500 series T-case sitting here waiting to go in with my new motor. Taking a jaunt across the border today to pick up my FLT Level 5 80E.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:27 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

mine doesn't jump out of gear, it just ends up in the 'neutral' position at the next start. Happened again after I posted yesterday. I seem to notice it occuring after an agressive launch, on the next start.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrX
Good luck with it. I have a 2500 series T-case sitting here waiting to go in with my new motor. Taking a jaunt across the border today to pick up my FLT Level 5 80E.
Ha...Takin the bus! I hear there's great deals on Greyhound...Next time I'm there I'll have to look u up! Randy
Old 08-01-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let us know what the dealer tells you on monday.....
Old 08-03-2008, 10:16 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dhpro
Ha...Takin the bus! I hear there's great deals on Greyhound...Next time I'm there I'll have to look u up! Randy
Ha. One of my employees father in law drives that route. He decided to retire the next day!
Old 08-04-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dealer tells me no codes, but there is a bulletin out on this prob and they do a traction control module upgrade...Another happy GM customer! R/
Old 08-12-2008, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well...I knew it wasn't gonna be that simple. No more blinking lites, but I got the msg 'service 4wd' after stopping while having done 20 miles in AWD4. It wudn't switch our of AWD4. I shut the engine off, restarted and it was all good...between this, my AC gremlins, and "reduced engine power" TB prob in the past I'm starting to wonder if I was hit by lightning!