Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

transfer case question.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 04:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transfer case question.....

I'm currently searching for the right RCSB. But I'm a little torn on the years of which to refine my search.
I "think" I want an AWD combo (dont really inderstand why anybody wouldn't). I've read the 4x4 to AWD conversion threads.

My question is.....are the newer (late 2007 and newer t-cases) still able to be swapped with the SS AWD case (NVG149) ?? I think I'm beginning to realize the only way to get an NNBS AWD RCSB is the full Denali chassis swap...??

The answer to this question will help me narrow down the years of the truck I'm looking to buy.

Also any thoughts, input or constructive criticism is always welcome.

Thanks........

Last edited by LSOHOLIC; 12-19-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm pretty sure as long as you're using a 4l60, the output will fit the NP149. Or use an 80 and find the illusive adaptor. Start with a 4x4 chassis. You can use a "locked" 4x4 front diff but I personally prefer to use the dedicated AWD diff it's simpler with less moving parts. And though I got lucky on the drive shaft lengths, they're easy to have made.
Anybody who's read my stuff already knows I've got a boner for AWD. It's the best thing I've done to mine.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:07 PM
Launching!

Thanks Mike.........

some of the stuff I find complicated at this point in my search is the different available transmissions and the t-cases that come behind them....

4L60E
4L70E
4L80E
floor shift (manual)
push button (dash, electric)

Is there a sticky regarding these choices when someone is considering a 4x4 to awd swap ??

I like both body styles, but would like to have the newer one is the awd swap is any option...

Thanks...

Old 12-20-2015, 03:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

The 4L60,65, and 70 are all basically the same trans. At least the same case. They are supposed to be different strength levels, the 70 being the toughest heavy duty one. The 80 is the tough one. It comes in 3/4 ton and up trucks and is a lot tougher but will be harder to use with an AWD case since the inputs are different. There was a guy in the past who made good adaptors but he stopped a while ago. You will want to use a NP149 case for AWD. There are some Borg Warner units out there also but they rely on a complicated "active braking system" in the trucks they come in, its not feasible for a swap. And the NP149 is very, very strong.

AWD.
This is the thread I started when I swapped. Like I started it, I don't slow down and document well but it gets you the idea. And trust me it really is very simple. I began overthinking it but it went together very easy. All of the 4WD set-ups or systems in these are more complicated than what you will put back in. I found myself saying "that's it???" many times.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:45 PM
Launching!

Man....thank you.

So......if I understand you correctly, I can swap the 149 t-case and SS dif. into a 2010 NNBS RCSB without any custom adapters or welding...etc ??

The entire combo will be something like this....
2004 - 2012 RCSB 4x4
Awd swap
E85 fuel
Box stock Borg Warner s475
Treadstone (Large)
Walbro E450 pump
100lb injectors
Matched converter
Sitting on 20's or 22's

Thoughts ??

Thanks......

Old 12-20-2015, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

The nnbs front diff mounts differently than the nbs, they did away with the bushing mounts on the case and went to a straight bolted design on the nnbs, not sure if you could take the extension housing onthe right side from an awd front diff and bolt it up or not but i would imagine you could so long as the mounting flange is the same.... Wanna say only difference is the axle actuator....
Old 12-20-2015, 06:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I understood it that the passenger shaft in the AWD is a single solid piece instead of two that connect via the actuator. But it sounds pretty likely that that section would bolt up. The manufactures typically only change what really needs to change.

That and keep in mind eventually the NNBS will have a 6spd instead of a 4spd, I have no 6spd experience.

Though I'd be interested to see a 6spd AWD set up.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Find a denali or escalade they are awd
Old 12-21-2015, 03:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

But I dont think the newer stuff is on a 149. Theres a lot going on to make the BW units work right. Too much to make simple swap into a project RCSB like LSOHOLIC wants.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:53 AM
Launching!

So...the final answer is....it's not going to be a "simple bolt-on" deal for the NNBS ??

I have plenty of projects....lol. And definitely not looking for this to be a custom, one off build. If I could swap all the parts over in a week or two that fine.

And doing a full Denali chassis swap is not an option at this point.

Did I understand you guys correctly ??

And thanks for the time to explain all of this to me...

Quick Reply: transfer case question.....