Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

transgo hd-2 on 5.3 cammed...questions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transgo hd-2 on 5.3 cammed...questions?

Hello well as some of you know ive been posting some threads up here to figure out what i want.. and after figuring out what i wanted thru all your opinions i finally got it.. just a quick review.. i got a circle d 3200 278mm stall. a detroit trutrac and finally a transgo shift kit.. hd-2.. now my question. after some research im still not sure what to use when installing my shift kit.. what springs how many washers etc.. mod r on sig and i just want truck to shift normal at normal driving and the harder the throttle the harder the shift.. to a point where i want it to trip the tires on wot on the shift.. my question is how do i do that? thanks for your help...
Old 06-23-2010, 06:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Step 3, 1 spacer
step 4, use red spring
as for drill bit sizes, go with the .93 where its an option
Follow the directions to the letter, if you are unsure, stop and find the answer before going forward.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:00 AM

Be careful! If you install a shift-kit upgrade your servos and don't use a programmer to increase pressure...use one or the other, not both. I installed a shift-kit along with corvette servo and did pretty good but a 4l60 won't hold up to performance driving or more hp very long without upgrades. I blew 2 so far...
Old 06-23-2010, 07:37 AM
Launching!

build up your trans. now with those upgrades and what you have for mods I give your 4L60 about 2-3months before something goes.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:58 AM

Yep, won't last long no matter what you do with mods to engine. The stock hard parts are very weak and WILL fail even with mild bolt-ons... all you need is a little traction and you'll see. Consider your future mods also. Good luck and keep moving forward.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 8.1 HD
build up your trans. now with those upgrades and what you have for mods I give your 4L60 about 2-3months before something goes.
Originally Posted by fastsparkyy2000
Yep, won't last long no matter what you do with mods to engine. The stock hard parts are very weak and WILL fail even with mild bolt-ons... all you need is a little traction and you'll see. Consider your future mods also. Good luck and keep moving forward.
Really? Look at my mods and I'm only running a vette servo and my 60e shifts strong as day 1. Actually even better now with the tuning adjusting shift points. It depends on how you drive, do you stomp the throttle on every turn? then yes nothing but something built will hold for you. But if you drive normal every now and then like I, then I don't see how a 60e isn't a fair to good trans. Yes i plan to build mine in the future but for now it's fine. I personally believe that shift kits can be done with more damage done than good. I think that many set them with the shifts hitting too hard (look at the people who talk about how they have their shifts chirping tires), which causes other parts to break much much quicker, then they join the slamming the 60e section.

I'm not saying its a great tranmission, but it's better than what many slam it to be
Old 06-23-2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jeteys5.3
Really? Look at my mods and I'm only running a vette servo and my 60e shifts strong as day 1. Actually even better now with the tuning adjusting shift points. It depends on how you drive, do you stomp the throttle on every turn? then yes nothing but something built will hold for you. But if you drive normal every now and then like I, then I don't see how a 60e isn't a fair to good trans. Yes i plan to build mine in the future but for now it's fine. I personally believe that shift kits can be done with more damage done than good. I think that many set them with the shifts hitting too hard (look at the people who talk about how they have their shifts chirping tires), which causes other parts to break much much quicker, then they join the slamming the 60e section.

I'm not saying its a great tranmission, but it's better than what many slam it to be
I dont think you understand my driving habits or what i was sayig. My point is if you add power your going to drive more agressive withtraction to use the power a stock hard parts trans will fail much sooner than if you just drive it on street tires. As for my driving i run hard as hell at the track and save my truck on the street so i can watch all the other lead foots looking to wreck,break, or kill someone. They'll grow-up someday get a cam
Old 06-23-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

you just said that the trans will fail with mild bolt on's. Mine is running strong. I have taken to the track before and ragged it and will continue to the track here very soon. I just think alot of people slam the 60e while many have good success with it
Old 06-23-2010, 01:59 PM

How many times you been to the track? I,
've been building a strip/street truck and just sharing what happened to me. My wife drove it stock & trans failed at 80,000 with easy driving and good maint. I took it for my track toy after that...dealer so-called h.d. build and i installed vette servo with shift-kit...failed at 87,000 with over 100 full passes with no problems until new drag tires, blew planets/sun shell 1st week. Thats why i bought what i thought was the best kit & converter for me. Goodluck with your truck.

Last edited by fastsparkyy2000; 06-23-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been twice. But i also don't baby the gas pedal either

Quick Reply: transgo hd-2 on 5.3 cammed...questions?