Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

transgo hd-2 on 5.3 cammed...questions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well thanks for the replies. But now u have me worried. Truck sees track three or four times a year.. She get. Normal driving all week mayb five or six wot accelerations just to remember I'm cammed. Lol.. Altho I wish I could do everything at one I can't but as Far as the shift kit well I already bought it and well I'm going to o stall it.. So blue spring one washer and pressure to stock.. Anything else?.. As FAR as mods to tranny what would b some. Altho I can't spend more since I just bought trutrac shift kit and stall I will defanetly keep in mind... Now I'm going to b scared when punching the truck. I thought my tranny was doing zoo good.. And I already have the vette servo.... Sorry for misspelled word or if its sloppy I'm off my blackberry..lol. Thanks
Old 06-23-2010, 05:36 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 05gmcsierra
Anything else?..
Yessir, a big trans cooler The Long TruCool 40K is a favorite around here, I recently installed one in my truck when I swapped in my FLT Level7 65E and Circle-D billet 258mm multi-disc, and my trans temps haven't gone above 160* yet...it usually stays around 150* according to the gauge.

FWIW, I blew my stock 60E at 59.5K, with 23K of those miles with my mild cam and tuned with 0 torque management (no trans mods other than tuning). I do have a tendency to drive "spiritedly" though
Old 06-23-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes remember to keep some TM on a stock trans. It will help. I also have the 40k trucool
Old 06-23-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Theres a time and a place for everything. The track is the place for that 1/4 mile burst not the street at every stop sign. My buddy has a SSS with right around 100k on it and the STOCK 65E has seen 12lb. of boost and 150 shot at the same time. Many, many runs at the track and has been running around 500 HP on the street as a daily driver for months now and has had no issues with the trans. and all that is done with it is a vette servo and tuning.

I personally have the stock 60E with around 400HP with a vette servo and tuning only, in a 5450lb. truck and it shifts damn good. At 82K miles I believe its all in maintience and how you drive it.

Both trucks have stalls, and stock tranny coolers.

Dont beat the **** out of it and you'll be fine!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:44 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sonoma43
Theres a time and a place for everything. The track is the place for that 1/4 mile burst not the street at every stop sign. My buddy has a SSS with right around 100k on it and the STOCK 65E has seen 12lb. of boost and 150 shot at the same time. Many, many runs at the track and has been running around 500 HP on the street as a daily driver for months now and has had no issues with the trans. and all that is done with it is a vette servo and tuning.

I personally have the stock 60E with around 400HP with a vette servo and tuning only, in a 5450lb. truck and it shifts damn good. At 82K miles I believe its all in maintience and how you drive it.

I believe that the 60E's can be hit or miss also...seems like some guys run em behind 6.0's with little to no mods to them and they just run forever, while others smoke em behind mild 5.3's. I agree 100% that driving habits can be the biggest factor to the demise of any auto trans out there. My trans was well maintained, but as I mentioned, I liked to flog it occasionally. Funny thing though, the day that it went I wasn't beating on it at all...I was cruising down the highway at about 50-60ish and just gave it enough gas to get out of lockup when the trans slipped and pegged the tach, go figure.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sonoma43

Old 06-24-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

So a transcooler is a must huh... Well I'm going to have to do that ASAP... My truck has 75000 miles and has had a cam for about 8000 miles on 0TM and just a vette servo.. Thought I would add the shift kit. Just to protect it a Lil more since I'm getting a stall I stalled. Hope the tranny last.. I don't beat on it much but I eventually get crazy and do..any other suggestions on I stalling the shift kit? Thanks
Old 06-24-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

I wouldn't call it a "must" but it might help a little. Won't make it hold more power though....
Old 06-24-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

well that tranny cooler is going to wait.. i read that tranny shouldnt heat up on regular driving unless im hot lapping it.. which only happens at the track and which ill make sure not to do.. not like if i go to the track often.. but sure will after i get that stall in.. atleast just to check time..lol.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

keep alittle TM

Quick Reply: transgo hd-2 on 5.3 cammed...questions?